Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hi David,
In the playback devices, I displayed both disabled and disconnected devices. Now, I have 3 entries, viz. Speakers and dual headphones (the default one), Independent dual headphones which is unplugged and SPDIF (Digital output via HP dock) which is also enabled. Strangely, all the three are running "IDT High DefinitionAudio CODEC" and not one displays itself as Intel HD audio device.
I went ahead with your suggestions. I disabled all entries, restarted the notebook. Now I enable only "Speakers and dual head phones" and it is the default device. No luck with the audio, yet. What else can I let you know?
Regards,
Palani.
HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

Can you run the Audio 'Fixit' from Microsoft on the following link and let me know what this finds.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

Best regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended
Hi David,
That link gave me an applicatin of 340kB called "Microsoft.AudioPlayback.Run". I ran this application as administrator. It was installing Microsoft Fix it. In that process, while "verifying the signature of AudioPlayback.diagcab..." an error occured which is stated below.
"We are sorry, but we couldn't verify the integrity of one or more components and cannot run the troubleshooter now. Please try again later."
I restarted the notebook once and tried again. But the same error occured. What shall I do further?
Warm regards,
Palani.
HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

Ok, try the following procedure.

Use the Microsoft 'Fixit' on the following link to Uninstall the current Realtek software.

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall

When this has completed, restart the notebook.

Once again, download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp45001-45500/sp45211.exe

Now try using the 'fixit' again to perform the installation - if this completes without error, restart the notebook again and check if you have audio.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Hi David,

I tried to uninstall the audio device driver using the fixit program. But, the fixit asks for 38 character product code for uninstallation, which I am not sure of what to give. I tried with "Device class guid" and "Bus type guid" which I saw in driver details in the Device Manager, but with out any success.

Since, I am in a hurry to make things work, I called up HP customer care here. The technical officer asked me to do the following check.

"Switch off the machine.

Remove ac adapter and battery.

Press power botton atleast for 15 seconds.

Put the battery back on and boot into BIOS by pressing F10.

Once into BIOS, press some key, for eg. 'k' for a few seconds to check whether a BEEP sound comes."

I checked it and found that no beep sound was coming. So, he suggested that it may be a hardware problem with the motherboard or the cable connecting speaker/headphone outlet. And, he asked me if I can bring the machine to the service center, so that they can swap the speaker cable to confirm the problem.

I may probably take it to the service center tomorrow. Meanwhile, can you tell me, what should I enter in the product code to uninstall a software using fixit? Or is there anything else I can try in this machine? Do you also think that it may be a hardware issue?

Regards,

Palani.

HP Recommended

Hi Palani,

Unfortunately this does look like a Hardware issue - if you get no 'beep' when in the Bios menu it really rules out any possible software problem, so I think the Service Centre is your only option.

Regarding the 'Fixit', I've never seen it ask for a code before, but it may well just be a result of the existing hardware fault.

One final option you may want to try is as follows.

Shut down the notebook, remove the AC Adapter and remove the battery.  Now follow the procedure on Page 69 of your Maintenance & Service Guide to remove the RTC battery.  When done, hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then leave the notebook for 20 minutes.

Reinsert the RTC battery, replace the covers etc, insert the main battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.

If you still have no sound, it's almost certainly a hardware failure.

Best regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.