Question

Teacher
Padraig
Message 1 of 17 (11,481 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't Unmute

I have an HP Pavilion dv7 1232nr. Everything has been working great until two days ago when I realized the mute button at the top of the laptop is RED (muted) and I can't seem to "unmute" it and/or change the volume using the touch pad above the keyboard.

When I go to the control panel, device manager, it says that everything is working properly. My headphones will work, but other than that, I can not get any sound from the internal speakers. I can see the green bars moving when I have music, etc., on, but I am unable to hear it without headphones.

I did speak with a colleague and she said her daughter had the same problem and they had to download something, but she didn't remember what it was.

Anyone able to assist? Thank you in advance.

Teacher
Padraig
Message 2 of 17 (11,476 Views)

Re: Can't Unmute

I want to add to my previous note. I was on Skype and my headphones worked, however, when I attempted to view a video on the Internet, the video worked but I had NO sound! even on my headphones.
Teacher
Padraig
Message 3 of 17 (11,448 Views)

I was able to get help with online chat. The unmute problem no longer exists.
Honor Student
vikisil
Message 4 of 17 (11,192 Views)

would you mind telling how it was fixed?

Teacher
Padraig
Message 5 of 17 (11,190 Views)

I am in Arizona so don't have much info to share with you other than I contacted HP via their 800 number and they had me download a new driver. It worked instantly after that.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but since I'm not home I don't have all the details. If you don't have your problem solved by February 1, get back to me as I'll be home and may be able to locate the name of the download.

Padraig

Honor Student
rashmi85
Message 6 of 17 (10,847 Views)

Hi, Past few days i am facing a similar issue. If you could provide me the driver that you installed, it would be really great. I have been trying to find something in HP site as well. But I want this issue fixed immediately. Thanks in advance. Regards, Rashmi.
Teacher
Padraig
Message 7 of 17 (10,835 Views)

I am sorry that I can't help you, but I looked through my notes and evidently I did not write that info down at the time. It seemed all to simple, I guess.

I know that I got help from their chat feature and it didn't take long for her to assist me. One thing I like about the chat is that they send you the URL for the specific download so I didn't have to go searching.

Again, sorry I can't speed things up for you.

Padraig

Teacher
Padraig
Message 8 of 17 (10,831 Views)

Since my previous note, I did find this . . . it's a message from one of the people on the 'Forum' who has proven extremely helpful to me. I should note, however, that I  received this AFTER I had already solved my problem, but you may find it helpful.

Just remembered what I did to fix it !!!!  go to the support and drivers section and download and install the newest software for the "quick launch" buttons. That may be the simple solution to your problem.

Teacher
Padraig
Message 9 of 17 (10,818 Views)

Since my last post:

I contacted 'chat' for assistance on another problem I was experiencing and during the process of fixing a virus, she told me that I would need to download the driver for my cd/dvd player again. I noticed that my mute button was on and I could not get my laptop speakers to work . . . same proble I had experienced before. Anyway, I do have the driver that she had me download: sp41479

It works beautifully, again. I'm not certain this is the exact driver you would need, but it worked for me.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 17 (10,819 Views)

[ Edited ]

Try reinstalling your IDT High Definition Audio Driver if the Quick Launch Button driver didn't work.

It is the IDT driver. Here is the proper link for this model :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-68687-1&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation