Question

Student
hmfoster
Message 1 of 12 (8,587 Views)

Cannot unmute

Today, the red touchkey icon above the function keys indicating the sound is muted was activated and I cannot deactive it; i.e. I cannot unmute my computer, and thus no longer have sound. I can unmute the sound via the volume control, but the red icon still stays on. If I press it the mute shows up again on the volume control. Any help would be appreciated.

I have:

HP Pavilion dv4-1465dx

Vista

Thanks!

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 12 (8,565 Views)

Re: Cannot unmute

Hi,

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Audio, Video and Games controllers

Find there IDT audio and roll back drivers for it.

Reources:

Roll Back Troublesome Device Drivers in Windows Vista

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
GK7007
Message 3 of 12 (8,568 Views)

I'm experiencing the same issue.

HP Pavilion dv7

Followed your advice but the option to roll back doesn't illuminate itself.

Tutor
AFWarrior
Message 4 of 12 (8,511 Views)

OK every one i read some more and i think i found out how to fix the problem with no sound:

1 go to Control Panel

2 go to Device Manager

3 go to Sound, video, and game controllers

4 double click the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

5 go to Driver on the top of the IDT screen

6 click Roll Back Driver...yes it takes away the most recent update but it worked for me

7 after it is done rolling back go back to the IDT screen and go back to driver and click the Update Driver... button...don't interrupt it let it do a search and update

if after those steps your audio still doesn't work properly then i cannot help any further

hope your sound comes back

Student
terrilamb68
Message 5 of 12 (8,360 Views)

I updated to windows 7 and now i cannot unmute my computer the little button by volume control is staying lite red I can still use headphone but no sound will come out of speakers

Honor Student
vikisil
Message 6 of 12 (8,343 Views)

I have the same problem. HP Pavilion dv9525en. Windows XP x32. The sound mute/unmute button is red all the time. The audio device seems to be ok, audio drivers seem to be ok, touchpad driver reinstaled. whn i push that button an icon appears on the desktop, showing the speakers to mute/unmute and also volume + and - controls also show up on the screen, it reflects in the volume control, BUT there is no sound whatever I do. I don't have any IDT High Definition Audio CODEC in the game controllers. There is only one istance for which there was a driver tab in the properties- Realtek High Definition Audio- and it was not able to roll back its drivers. So I (fullishly) tried to instal that IDTHigh Definition Audio Codec. It didn't instal, came up with an error, when I restarted my PC crashed, I tried to strat Windows normally again, it crushed again. Then I returned to the last know good settings, and my Pc was OK again, except that there is no sound.

And, no, I don't know what caused this, it was working fine and then one moment I noticed it does not work any more.

Any suggestions?

Honor Student
Greg409
Message 7 of 12 (8,268 Views)

I also have the same problem! HP DV4-1465dx. I can get sound through earphones but not speakers. Tried a few things but nothing works. Hope someone from HP can help.

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 8 of 12 (8,238 Views)

@Greg409,

Hi,

Which system are You using?

Go to: Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Audio, Video and Games controllers

Find there Your audio card and click with right button of Your mouse on it and choose properties. Then go to bottom details and paste here hardware id .

Below You've got example how to do it:

Device ID

Device ID

Device ID

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Honor Student
Greg409
Message 9 of 12 (8,035 Views)

1. This problem happen right after I upgraded to Windows 7 (Home premium 64 bit).

2. What values do I paste? The ones in your example?

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 10 of 12 (7,986 Views)

@Greg409

Hi,

Disconnect from Internet.

Uninstall from Your system audio drivers.

Resources:

Uninstalling Software in Windows 7

Uninstall or change a program in Windows 7

Restart Your system:

On boot press F8 and choose Safe mode.

Go to Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Audio, Video and Games Controllers

and find there Audio card. Click on it with right button of Your mouse and choose uninstall driver.

Restart Your system and this time start it in normal mode.

Install correct audio driver:

IDT audio here

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation