Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

You seem like a real expert. Hopefully you'll get this message and  will be able to help me out. I have a Compaque Presario F700 and use Windows 7. All of a sudden I am having an issue with the sound. The computer tells me that ther is no audio output device installed and it is detecting problems with the hardware, which is strange because it worked just fine for the past four years. I have also checked and found that there is no sound card installed. I am not quite sure what to do because I am definately not techy. I just know what is considered the basics, but I did read on another forum that this is not a unique issue. I was hoping to get some advice without having to $30/mth :generic: . Would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Deborah

HP Recommended

Hi, Deborah:

Thank you for the compliment. I do not consider myself an expert by any means. But I try to help folks where I can.

Your issue is rather a difficult one to diagnose over the internet, unfortunately.

The problem being, it was working fine for years, and now all of a sudden, for some unforeseen reason, it isn't.

Not only that, but now your audio controller has completely disappeared from sight.

So, here are my recommendations for you:

1. Launch the system restore utility, and select a restore point to a time when your audio was functioning normally. It is possible something got real gummed up in the registry.

2. If that doesn't work, consider backing up all of your files and re-installing Windows 7 fresh and clean.

If the above recommendations don't work, then it is possible that the audio controller on the motherboard has quit on you.

Best regards,

Paul

HP Recommended

Dear Paul, Dear All,

It took some time, but finally im through with all suggested versions from that blog.

and well, nothing really worked. i tried to edit and to manual install SP34789 and SP30399 just as proposed.

trying the manual installation, in the end no driver was identified at all (not even one that only works for 3 seconds). One strange thing was, that when updating the inf-file at this, the pc told me it couldn’t find it – although I just told it where it is (C:\SWSetup\SP30399). Hm.

Interestingly, modifying the sp30399 worked for some few hours (in total). but i dont know why. -  as far as i can see, you recommended that before (above) and i already did try that (with the only difference: now i did run the file as the admin). Im not so sure, but think i didnt update the driver, but installed it completely new again (manually, with the modified file). I did that because in the device-manager suddenly (probably after that first error-installation) my audiocontroller was missing completely.

but actually im totally in the dark, specially since i couldnt repeat that, trying all versions of installing that came to my mind. (with the result, that it didnt start anymore and i needed a system-recovery. maybe due to its year of birth 2004, my mechanical friend has some other serious problems preventing success...but no, i wouldnt know what!)

so, basically nothing worked...

any ideas?

thanks so far!

h

HP Recommended

Hi, Helga:

I have one last suggestion...I read somewhere on the internet that all you need to do is to manually install the XP Pro driver for your notebook.

It sounds too good to be true, but several people thanked the person that recommended doing that, and they all said it worked.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&...

So, download this driver. Run it. Let it fail or give an error.  Then click on your audio controller in the device manager. Click on the driver tab. Click on update driver. Select the "Browse my computer for software" method, and browse to C:\SWSetup\sp30157.

Make sure the include subfolders box is checked and pray it works.  :generic:

Good luck,

Paul

HP Recommended

Hey,

so i had a partly success, with the result of a failure!

i could not install the original xp-driver. no success, no nothing.

then i modified the according inf, with my hardware-IDs. and that worked!  - that means, i got a formal installation success and had to restart the computer to complete the installation.

well and during starting up came a blue screen and i had to recover the system.

recovering went well, only the installation was redone.

tried the installation again - with the same result.

more and more i have the feeling its not only software thats missing, but a working pc..

any ideas?

wellwellwell

h

HP Recommended

Hi, Helga;

I'm sorry but I am clean out of ideas.

Paul

HP Recommended

Thanks for your time and thoughts!

h

HP Recommended

Hi Paul and Helga,

I faced the same issue with my Compaq NX9005 after upgrading to Win7. I have applied the edit suggestion Paul gave and it worked perfectly even before any restarting.

The edited portion of the qta3091.inf file became:

[Manufacturer]
%MfgNameLong%=Conexant

[Conexant]
%*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_3091103C
%*WDM_AMCAUD.DeviceDesc%=WDM_AMCAUD,PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5451&SUBSYS_0024103C&REV_02

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect=PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4370&SUBSYS_3091103C

Thanks a lot!!

I had problem also with the LAN interface. I used a USB lan adapter to get access to the internet and downloaded the XPdriver at HP site and after installation the LAN worked fine also.

Rgds,

Jorge

HP Recommended

You're welcome, Jorge:

What about graphics? 

Do you have Aero and graphics acceleration?

Paul

HP Recommended
hello mr. paul
ethernet driver on my laptop (hp compaq nx9005) didn't istall
please tell me about this problem window 7 installed 32 bit. help me and give me true suggestion.... thanks after solve the problem good by
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.