Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15 - p196na
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have had my laptop for just a few days and after setting everything up on it when attempting to watch a film that is housed on the pc or a video on laptop tI have noticed that there are audio issues.

The issues range from buzzing, robotic sound, no sound for short periods and just general distortion.  These issues are intermittent but spoil the pleasure of watching anything.  Anything, this HP replaced a previous HP laptop that I have given to my son and I also noticed the same type of audio issues over the last couple of weeks and also note other customers with the same issue.

I have viewed videos on You Tube via Chrome & Mozilla and the same issue is present.  The fact that the issue is present on both computers, one of which was working fine until recently is unlikely to be a coincidence so I presume the issue relates to a Windows or driver update.  Can anyone assist please?  Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ppiddy1000 ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have looked into your issue about your HP Notebook and playing sound from a browser. Here is a document on troubleshooting sound.

Please make sure your updates have been done on the Notebook. In the device manager under sound right click and update the driver. Here is another step to try.

1. Right click the Speaker icon in the bottom right corner by your time.
2. Click Playback Devices.
3. Click Speakers/Headphones.
4. Click Properties.
5. Click the Advanced tab on the Properties window.
6. Change the Default Format drop-down to the highest quality.
7. Apply the properties.
8. Click OK to close the properties window.
9. Click OK to close the Playback Devices.

What browser are you using? I would check to make sure the browser is up to date.

Does this happen when playing a DVD or CD?

Make sure you do not have other things running in the back ground when a video is playing as open browser Windows do effect the streaming.

You could reset the BIOS with this document selecting the reloading the BIOS default settings. Which has helped others.

Please let me know how this goes.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi

Thanks for your response.  I used Google Chrome and sometimes Firefox.  The videos being played are eitrher MKV's or x264 files.

I reset the sound quality as advised and the issue is still present.

I'm reluctant to mess about with the BIOS as the computer is less than a week old, surely there shouldnt be an issue with this for such a new computer?  What would resetting the BIOS entail and would it mean that I would have to reload everything onto the computer?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @ppiddy1000 ,

I certainly appreciate your honesty, please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link to get the support number for your region. They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.:smileyhappy:

I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.