Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I bought this laptop two days ago and the sound was fine on the first day. Yesterday it was crackling when I watched youtube videos or played games. I have Windows 8.1 and all the drivers are up to date. 

Thanks for the help.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem...

I took laptop back to the shop and they replaced it but the second laptop is also crackling.

Is there a bad batch or is this a kown error?

HP Recommended

Same problem and have also taken first machine back and second has same problem!

HP Recommended

I've also just bought this laptop today and unpackaged it - playing music via a stream (where I play most/all of my music) on deezer, every 10 mins or so there is a crackling sound.

I really don't want to have to deal with the hassle of taking this back and getting another if this is a known issue?!

HP Recommended

Yeah...circumnavigating this problem by plugging in my own speakers. But pretty disappointed - sound was supposed to be amazing. Not impressed. Would love to know if there's any reasonable way to fix this.

HP Recommended

im on my thrid, how has this not been ficed by HP or even reconized

HP Recommended

Hey guys, the solution I found is to stop running uTorrent...weirdly this has solved my issue. I had a friend look at my laptop and I thought they managed to solve the issue.

But as soon as I pulled up uTorrent and started my torrents, crackling and glitching was back. So now I pause/stop my torrents when I need music, and start them again during quiet time.

Let us know if anyone else had this...

HP Recommended
I don't have utorrent installed or running & it still does it from time to time.

I have tried:

*uninstalling audio driver and reinstalling
*checked if older driver version of audio driver worked, it didn't.
*read a forum post about antivirus software potentially causing the issue so tested disabling it, reinstalled, changed entirely from avg to panda and it made no difference.
*uninstalling windows updates and testing and reinstalling and testing

Playing nusic or videos from directly on the harddrive performs much better than streams etc.

I'm putting it down to either ram performance or harddrive speed. These can spike when I first open the laptop to 100% for a few minutes whilst updates are running . The issue is heightened when I first open my laptop to run. I have uninstalled some bloat ware and changed startup programmes so that it isn't crunching away too hard when I first open it. This seems to have made a difference. When using streaming software I pause the stream or leave it a few minutes and that helps.

It is infuriating and such a bad flaw for such a nifty netbook. It does seem to be very infrequent now though so it's nowhere near as bad as it was!
HP Recommended

yeah i called HP and they did the remote desktop assistance. They reinstalled my speakers but it didnt help. of course I didnt hear while theyre on the phone so they think job well done.

What does everyone think about the Lenovo Yoga?

HP Recommended

This is what I did and it immedietly fixed the problem with the annoying crackling sounds on my HP Pavillion X360. Go to Device Manager, and under Sound, Video and Game Controllers, select High Definition Audio Device, select Driver and then select Roll Back Driver. I am now running Driver Version 6.3.9600.16384 (Driver Date 8/22/2013. I was running a newer 2014 version perviously and I believe that was the source of the crackling problem. Since rolling back the driver to this earlier 2013 version, the sound is crystal clear with the kind of quality that would make Dr. Dre proud. Good luck!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.