Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

There's a new sound driver out which is suppose to fix the distortion.

That's a definite new version (based on driver version).

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-x360-Convertible-PC-Series/7527520/model/...

This is the one my laptop is using.

Haven't test it yet.

Going tot test it now. 

HP Recommended

Still happening after streaming Netflix for about two hours using Google Chrome.

If I stream Netflix using the Windows native app, it won't happen. 

I usually only get the distortion only when streaming audio/videa via the browsers (any browsers, tried Chrome, Opera, Firefox and Edge with no luck).

Really hope they fix this soon.

HP Recommended

I installed the new driver.  The crackling is still there--however, it's a bit less intrusive.  I have the same behavior:  when playing a video in a browser (any of them), I get the noise. 

I ran Netflix last night and no sound problems.

I hope HP is nowfocusing on browser usage cases.

HP Recommended

@eded1122 wrote:

I installed the new driver.  The crackling is still there--however, it's a bit less intrusive.  I have the same behavior:  when playing a video in a browser (any of them), I get the noise. 

I ran Netflix last night and no sound problems.

I hope HP is nowfocusing on browser usage cases.

That's disappointing, after all this time and the driver notes are:

"

Fix and enhancements

- Fixes an issue which causes audio playback on the system to become distorted."

HP Recommended

Did the latest BIOS update on 12/01/15 along with the other driver updates (dated 12/01/15) including sound.  Crackling sound has been somewhat better but still the popping sounds when switching apps.  Like moving from Edge to Excel or opening an Excel file.  Probably just coincidence since I am streaming Pandora.  Still get crackling when watching movies that I downloaded on VUDU. Movies seem to crackle all the time but Pandora streaming does not.  Somewhat better but not quite there yet.

Paul

HP Recommended

@Technocrazy wrote:

Did the latest BIOS update on 12/01/15 along with the other driver updates (dated 12/01/15) including sound.  Crackling sound has been somewhat better but still the popping sounds when switching apps.  Like moving from Edge to Excel or opening an Excel file.  Probably just coincidence since I am streaming Pandora.  Still get crackling when watching movies that I downloaded on VUDU. Movies seem to crackle all the time but Pandora streaming does not.  Somewhat better but not quite there yet.

Paul

Don't pay attention to those 'updated' dates, they're bogus and change every day.

Though there is an F2D BIOS from Nov 12 I hadn't noticed though the changes don't look very exciting to me or solve any problems I've personally ever had.

Release details

Released: Nov 12, 2015

Version F.2D Rev.A

Fix and enhancements

- Fixes an intermittent issue where the system stops functioning (hangs) while the system enters sleep mode (S3). - Provides support for additional notebook models.
- Provides support for the asset tag data to be programmed using the BIOSConfigUtility utility.
HP Recommended

It seems like when you install the new driver, it doesn't automatically update the Intel SmartSound Technology driver. You can do that by updating the driver manually. I just did that and manage to stream 2 hours of Netflix using Chrome with no popping and crackling at all. Fingers crossing it is fix. 

The newer Intel SmartSound driver is version 8.4.2.120 and the release date is 10/11/2015.

HP Recommended

I think I can say it is really seems fix this time by installing the new Intel SmartSound Technology driver. Half a day of Netflix on Google Chrome and it still sounds perfect.

For people who need help fixing this, the steps is below:

1. Download the latest audio driver for your model. I got mine from http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-Spectre-x360-Convertible-PC-Series/7527520/model/...

2. Run the installer. It will extract the file to a folder. Make a note of the folder. By default it should be C:\SWSetup\SP73936\ or something similar.

3. If you haven't install the new audio driver, just let it install. Restart your PC.

4. Open up Device Manager.

5. Under Sound, video and game controllers, look for Intel SmartSound Technology.

6. Check the driver date. It should still be a driver from June. Click on Update Driver and select Browse my computer for driver software. 

7. Browse to the previous folder where the driver is extracted to and point to the FRE\ISST folder. Should be this C:\SWSetup\SP73936\Fre\ISST\

8. Click on Next. Windows should automatically pick up the latest driver and install it.

9. If it doesn't pick it up, go back again and select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.

10. Click on Have Disk and click on Browse and browse to the above folder.

11. Select any of the inf file there and install the driver.

12. Restart your PC

Hopefuly with this, it should fix the irritating crackling sound.

HP Recommended

I updated the driver last night to 8.4.2.120 but the date shows 11/10/15.  I will give it a listen for a while and see what happens.  The thing that seems to be my worse problem is the cracking and static during playback of mp3s loaded on my computer.  While I have also experienced what other people have reported, the playback thing for me bugs me the most.  On certain songs it's unbearable. 

Does anyone know whether or not the DTS Audio Control panel could be removed and replaced with something else?  While I'm certainly not sure what the heck has caused the problem with so many different things to condsider, I'm no fan of that regardless. 

HP Recommended

I did the install.  

Diver version:  8.4.2.120

Date:  11/10/2015

Ran through all my tests (Youtube, embedded videos...)  

The crackling and pops are gone.

I think this problem is finally solved on my machine.  

Thanks all!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.