Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@daxliniere wrote:

Hi BinaryJay,

I haven't seen that, myself, so I'm sorry to hear that. Do you have Spectre x360, too?

Yes, Spectre X360.  Turning enhancements off SEEMS to work just the way that rebooting or disabling and re-enabling the device SEEMS to work, but eventually the crackling always returns if you are streaming music or video over wifi long enough.   It is hit or miss about how LONG you need to be streaming before the issue becomes obviously apparent but in my case turning the enhancements off has never been a permanent fix it just isn't the root cause it is more a problem with simultaneous wifi and audio use from my research and experience than anything.

I forgot to mention that I did, at one point, manage to get the sound drivers installed without the Dolby enhancements at all - so I did not have them installed at all (I don't recall what exactly I was doing, sorry) but the problem kept occuring which is why I ruled out those enhancements altogether as the root cause and then didn't bother with it from that point forward.

HP Recommended

It would be great to know how you managed to do that. If I uninstalled RealTek I2C, it fixes the problem... until Windows re-installs those drivers all by itself. 😠

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Hi @andrewiam_com,

Thank you for replying.

I understand that your audio is still distorted and unsatisfactory.

When I checked the software and driver page for your Spectre 360 13-4002dx I did notice that the audio driver was updated today.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx (ENERGY STAR)

Please try installing the updated driver and let me know if it made any difference.

If it does resolve the issue, please consider marking my post as accepted solution to alert the other posters to the good news.

To say thanks for responding please click the thumbs up icon below.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

@Sparkles1 wrote:

Hi @andrewiam_com,

Thank you for replying.

I understand that your audio is still distorted and unsatisfactory.

When I checked the software and driver page for your Spectre 360 13-4002dx I did notice that the audio driver was updated today.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-4002dx (ENERGY STAR)

Please try installing the updated driver and let me know if it made any difference.

If it does resolve the issue, please consider marking my post as accepted solution to alert the other posters to the good news.

To say thanks for responding please click the thumbs up icon below.

Best of Luck!

Incorrect.  HP unhelpfully changes the "Updated" date every few days it seems to the current date for no reason with absolutely no change to the driver version being offered.  Click Details and you'll see it hasn't been updated in ages.

Release details

Released: Jul 27, 2015

Version 6.4.10041.127 Rev.A

You're a support employee for HP?

HP Recommended

Hi @BinaryJay,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Yay, hopefully @BinaryJay has better luck than I did.  I hope the driver gets patched.  Keep us updated Jay! 

HP Recommended

I would like to be contacted, too, please.
We absolutely need to get this bug fixed and, honestly, the users shouldn't have to push so hard for this.
It's not our job, it's HP's.

HP Recommended

@daxliniere wrote:

I would like to be contacted, too, please.
We absolutely need to get this bug fixed and, honestly, the users shouldn't have to push so hard for this.
It's not our job, it's HP's.

Don't get your hopes up I have yet to receive any meaningful contact about the problem, certainly nothing has been done to right the problem.  Still waiting for someone to offer to replace mine with the newer model.

HP Recommended

@BinaryJay By "new", are you talking about the July or October models? 

(For those that are wondering, there are already 3 generations of Spectre x360 laptops.  The first generation, 4000, was launched in February 2015.  The second generation, 4100, that was launched in July 2015, which adds a mention of Bang & Oulfsen audio to the product page as well as shipping with Windows 10.  And the third generation, which was launched in October 2015, which has a black and gold color scheme, Bang & Oulfsen logo, and new Intel processors.  HP appears to be shoehorning it onto the same 4100 series. The last two letters at the end of the 4XXX series appear to denote target market.  So the 4XXXdx series appears to be for the United States.) 

HP replaced the motherboard in my 4003dx, and when I had issues with the hinge sensor after that, they offered a customized 13t to replace it.  I pointed out it would take longer to build it and it had the same specifications as the 4101dx, so HP gave me that instead.  As far as I can tell, the 4003dx and 4101dx models have identical hardware. 

Interestingly, the July and October 1440p Spectre laptops (4110dx and 4195dx) have the option for both Conextant and Realtek drivers (although the February 4005dx does not).  I will try the Realtek and Conexant drivers from the 4195dx and report back. 

Edit: Very interestingly, my 4101dx now has the option for Conexant driver downloads too!  And my old 4003dx does not.  I wonder if HP changed DACs, either because of issues with Realtek or because of further cost cutting.  I dearly hope it is the former.  Either way, I doubt HP will offer replacement laptops with the other DAC. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.