Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm considering buying a 5310m that comes with a DisplayPort instead of a HDMI.

Does the DisplayPort supports audio pass-through?

There were problems with other brand of notebooks that started to use the DisplayPort interface, people were complaining that even using a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, the audio wasn't being played on their HDTV.

I just want to make sure I can use full HD video and audio capability through this interface (DisplayPort).

Thanks.

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended
I own a 5310m and connected it via an adapter and a HDMI cable. Perfect video, no audio... do I have to do some setup, or is audio simply not supported?
HP Recommended

I'm not sure, I did send a message to HP directlly, but haven't heard from them yet.

What I know is that this may be a problem with the DisplayPort in this early implementations on current notebooks (HP and not HP). Supposedly, the DisplayPort specification should support audio pass-through, but the existing hardware does not....

That's very unfortunate, as I would rather have an HDMI, which makes the 5310m not an option for me at this point (I'd rather have a notebook with both a VGA and HDMI ports). That's a shame also, because you lose the digital audio quality if this would be enabled. Really poor choice.

I hope someone in this forum (or HP) let us know if they were successful doing this (I mean, sending the audio via DisplayPort HDMI adapter).

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hey,

I've just found out that the 5310m definitely supports audio over DisplayPort. I've updated the audio driver, and now it works!

HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to put the update here.

I guess now you are able to send video/audio via the HDMI adapter.

Can you let me know which adapter (and where) did you buy? I'd like to order the same.

Many thanks!

HP Recommended

Yes, it works with the DisplayPort-HDMI adapter.

It's called JOU JYE AVA121 and I got it for 10 euros in an Austrian online shop. 😉

HP Recommended
I finaly got my disport to hdmi cable in the mail today but can't get the sound to work?, did you download any special drives? I tried the once on HP.com but it didnt help? Any ide? are there any setting it might be?
HP Recommended

I just installed the hp.com drivers. Actually, I'm not sure if it was the driver update that made it work. I noticed that I have kind of a loose contact between the adapter and the DisplayPort on my notebook. Sometimes it doesn't work at first, but when I plug it out and in again it does. But I never needed more than two tries. 

Anyway, when I have the audio connection (and only then!), I can see a new playback device "HDMI Audio" or so which is made the default device automatically. 

Hope this helps... 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm having the same problem too on my HP 5310m. having perfect picture but no sound.  😕

i downloaded & installed the drivers from hp.com

and i have this DP-HDMI adapter:

CMP-ADAP571

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/index.php?action=search&searchTerm=CMP-ADAP571&go=Go

it says on the adapter box that it supports both HD video and audio.

in the control panel, on the sound outs configuration on my computer,

i can see a "HDMI audio out", but its status is "Unplugged".

any other ideas?

Thanks

🙂

HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have now found out what exactly is the problem here, if you're lucky you have the same:

On my TV, I can only switch to the HDMI when the laptop is already connected. And on the laptop, there's only an audio connection if the TV has been already switched to HDMI at the time the DisplayPort adapter gets connected. 

So, the solution is:

1) Plugin the HDMI cable/DisplayPort adapter to the laptop.

2) Switch to the HDMI port on the TV.

3) Remove and re-plugin the DisplayPort adapter on the laptop. 

Good luck!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.