Question

Honor Student
jtondrums
Message 1 of 7 (1,582 Views)

Envy 15 Notebook sound stopped working from speakers and headphones

HP Envy 15 3040NR

Processor i7-2670QM

Windows 7 Home Premium

After resuming my computer from hibrnation the sound no longer worked. The speakers don't work and headphones don't work.  I tried re-installing the audio drivers.  I tried reinstalling the BIOS.  I restored the system back to 4/10/13.  I uninstalled "coolsense" (taking a suggestion from the forum).  I uninstalled Spotify (trying anything I could think of)

This happened a few months ago as well and suddenly went away.   I'm assuming that it has something to do with an update. 

Please help.

Thanks,

Jtondrums 

Provost
CherylG
Message 2 of 7 (1,572 Views)

Re: Envy 15 Notebook sound stopped working from speakers and headphones

Have you checked your support page for latest Audio driver:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/product?product=5218394&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&task=

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button is a way to give Kudo's -Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
jtondrums
Message 3 of 7 (1,552 Views)

Yes, I had already tried that.  I just did it again, jut in case the second time was a charm.  But, the computer is still silent. 

Provost
CherylG
Message 4 of 7 (1,530 Views)

Go into device manager and uninstall the audio driver for your notebook. After you uninstall it, go to the toolbar in device manager and select "scan for hardware changes". After it has completed, reboot the computer.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Honor Student
jtondrums
Message 5 of 7 (1,499 Views)

I tried all of those options.  I uninstalled the audio drivers.  I restored the computer to a previous date.   I tried having the computer make noise from the BIOS setup page etc...   All lead to no sound.     Then yesterday I closed the lid of the computer putting it to sleep.  When I opened it later the sound was back.  So I guess it's fixed.  But I don't trust this machine so much anymore.  Who knows?

Student
laptoplisa
Message 6 of 7 (929 Views)

my Envy 15 i7 notebook first lost sound on Chrome, but now also Firefox & Explorer.  Any suggestions?

Provost
CherylG
Message 7 of 7 (884 Views)

@laptoplisa 

You laptop has sound elsewhere? It is only on internet where is has no sound. Is this when playing videos such as Youtube,etc? If so try installing latest Flash player

.Adobe - Install Adobe Flash Player

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation