Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hello, 

My laptop is about a year old.  First the sound worked sporadically and I could restart my computer. Now, it never works. I can go into Device Manager and "disable" and "enable" sound but it's only a temporary fix -- for about 10 minutes.

My sound is working -- I can hear when I test the speakers but I can't hear a thing if I play anything with sound or do a video call.

This is a huge problem as I do a lot of video calls for my business.   😞  Including the amount of time I'm spending on trying to fix it.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd be very appreciative. 

Thank you! 

Windows 8

Model: C2K72UA

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry for my late reply. Needed to handle pressing issues, like work, lol.

Thanks for that.  I did do all of that and no luck. I finally acquiesced and accepted the Win update to 8.1. After doing all of that, it appears that my sound has returned. I'm not feeling confident though because this sporadic sound issue has occurred before. I always seem to lose the sound right before an important video call. GRR!

I appreciate your time very much -- thank you, I am okay for now. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi KimPatt, welcome to the HP Forums. I understand you are unable to maintain sound. The basic troubleshooting is outlined in this document:

No Sound from Speakers (Windows 😎

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended
Thank you for your reply but I've already done that. My speakers are working, sound does exist, I'm just not hearing it.

HP Recommended

OK. So open an item that is not producing sound, and click on your volume, and open the volume mixer. There is generally a slider per source of volume. Make sure the levels are up and they are not muted. Also let me know if you see the green audio levels moving.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Hi and thank you.  I opened a YouTube video and opened the volume mixer.  The levels were at max but I did not see the green levels moving.  Here's a screen shot: 

dog.jpg

HP Recommended

OK, and of course you checked the YouTube volume slider also?

Does this happen with multiple web browsers (ie. Internet Explorer, Chrome, Firefox?)

I am not sure which programs are responsible, but try locating and uninstalling (if it exists) Adobe Flash and Java, and then reinstall it.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Sorry for my late reply. Needed to handle pressing issues, like work, lol.

Thanks for that.  I did do all of that and no luck. I finally acquiesced and accepted the Win update to 8.1. After doing all of that, it appears that my sound has returned. I'm not feeling confident though because this sporadic sound issue has occurred before. I always seem to lose the sound right before an important video call. GRR!

I appreciate your time very much -- thank you, I am okay for now. 

HP Recommended

Hi!

I have closed this thread to help keep the comments timely. If you have more to add, please start a new thread. Click here if you want to learn more about how to start a new conversation/thread.

Please post in a new thread for better exposure. It may also be helpful if you posted a few more details about your computer/printer and your issues.

1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.

If you have any other questions about forum posting, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you!"

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.