Question

Student
Cloud9
Message 1 of 10 (2,622 Views)

External Microphone problem

My head has exploded several times already because of this issue.

So everything is working fine on my HP Envy 17" 1193eo laptop, except when I plug in external microphone.
I've tried nearly everything what I can come up with my 10+  years experience on pc's and google, but haven't
found the solution.

I think the core of this problem is that in the recording devices windows 7 (64bit) thinks that the external
mic is somehow stereo mix? :smileyvery-happy: I got 3 devices there: Integrated microphone array, microphone and stereo mix.
When I plug in the microphone it will be set as default recording device, integrated mic is "ready" and stereo mix is currently unavailable. So the mic doesn't give any input to computer, but when f.e. playing music the volume bars starts to respond, like in stereo mixer. For further example if I record audio when external microphone is default it will only record system audio and the quality is really bad, same goes with communication softwares like teamspeak and ventrilo when trying to talk with people.
Disabling devices, updating drivers, another table microphones, configuring etc etc hasn't solved this problem and I'm really frustrated. Integrated mic is working fine btw.

Any ideas?

Student
afro-ninja
Message 2 of 10 (2,467 Views)

Re: External Microphone problem

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I want to use skype and steam voice chat, the people on the other side of the line complain about me being too quiet. So I went and bought myself a new headset (including a mic). But unfortunately, I can't use it because the internal mic on the hp envy 17 takes priority. I do not know how to change it. I've tried making the headset the default communicating device and i've also tried disabling the internal mic. Nothing seems to work. Help would be appreciated.

Cheers.

:smileyhappy:

Top Student
ZLoG83
Message 3 of 10 (2,313 Views)

I also experience the exact same problem.

I tested my table mic on other laptops - works fine. I just cant get the HP software to disable the internal mic and let me use my table one.

Seriously frustrating. Something that seems basic function is giving me gray hairs.

Please help with a solution somebody.

I am also on a HP Envy 17" like you guys.

Student
tyredwingz
Message 4 of 10 (1,566 Views)

same problem, same computer. I've also been battling with performance issues since i've unboxed it. I've sent it in three times and considering the fourth. The people who had it last said there was nothing further they could do for me and i should call another section that had more authority over it. I've been back and forth to school for the past few years struggling to get this problem resolved. if anyone resolves this please share on how to cause it would be nice to have a fully functioning laptop for once O.O

Student
Jimmyadam
Message 5 of 10 (1,465 Views)

Same Prob i have with my Hp Envy 17 .. & i'm like **bleep** now i'm suppose to do.
Anyone fixya ?

Student
Tanveerhafiz
Message 6 of 10 (850 Views)

same problem with my hp 1000 core i3 ,

i can't use my external mic

Honor Student
Izzyboy
Message 7 of 10 (328 Views)

Same problem with Eny 14. Wonder if Beats sotware is connected. Sad to see no response to all these users.

HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 8 of 10 (303 Views)

Hi Izzyboy,

I see that you are having a problems with your external microphone. I will be happy to help you with this issue. What operating system are you using? What is the product number for your notebook? Do you have any problems with the audio from the speakers?

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
Student
ricardo_au
Message 9 of 10 (141 Views)

hi I have HP Envy 15 and having the same prob- any tips on the heaphones + mic for skype please

HP Support Agent
BHK6
Message 10 of 10 (133 Views)

Hi @ricardo_au

Please see my previous post just above yours. If you can provide me the information I asked for above I will see what I can find.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation