Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Envy Ultrabook 4-1130us and the F6, F7, and F8 buttons aren't working as command controls for music anymore. All my other F1-F12 buttons work except those three. This has happened before and I thought it was due to iTunes not being updated. I updated iTunes and the buttons still aren't working. I ran a diagnostic test on my keyboard and the test says that nothing is wrong-which is partially true because every other button except F6, F7, and F8 are working. 

Any ideas of how to solve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @tvp89 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your F6, F7 and F8 buttons are not working as command controls for your music.

Here is a link to Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎 to assist you through this difficulty.

Have you tried Using Automated Troubleshooting (Windows 😎?

Have you ran The HP Support Assistant to aid with HP updates and resolving issues.

If a bios update is required , you may wish to consider contacting HP support for assistance, as it does have the potential to cause damage.

Updating the BIOS

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region Technical Support Sitemap .

If that has not resolved the issue, there are few more things you can try.

If they were working correctly before you can do a restore back to a time when they were.  Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

You can try  install the original driver. Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 😎

You do a Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎

You can also do a recovery back to factory. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

You will receive an opportunity to backup your files during the recovery process.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 😎

You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely log onto your system to help locate and resolve issues.

I hope that my suggestions have helped.

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @tvp89 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that your F6, F7 and F8 buttons are not working as command controls for your music.

Here is a link to Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎 to assist you through this difficulty.

Have you tried Using Automated Troubleshooting (Windows 😎?

Have you ran The HP Support Assistant to aid with HP updates and resolving issues.

If a bios update is required , you may wish to consider contacting HP support for assistance, as it does have the potential to cause damage.

Updating the BIOS

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region Technical Support Sitemap .

If that has not resolved the issue, there are few more things you can try.

If they were working correctly before you can do a restore back to a time when they were.  Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

You can try  install the original driver. Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 😎

You do a Refresh Your PC to Resolve Problems (Windows 😎

You can also do a recovery back to factory. Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 😎

You will receive an opportunity to backup your files during the recovery process.

Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 😎

You can also contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely log onto your system to help locate and resolve issues.

I hope that my suggestions have helped.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Did this happen just within the last couple days after an attempted HP BIOS update?

I just posted my own problem which may or may not be related to a failed BIOS update on my machine

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio/After-BIOS-update-failure-and-rollback-audi...

I have gone through all the suggested troubleshooting steps in the above post without any change or success.

Would be interesting if your situation is very similar to mine (when I press one of those keys, the vertical sound indicator displays, but doesn't move)

Also, although I doubt should be related, I may try uninstalling the Windows Security update displayed in the "Solved" but for now I believe is unrelated since that update had been on my system for 2 months now without a problem.

Tony

HP Recommended

Hi Tony,

This happened twice before in the past few weeks but it wasn't related to any updates or new installations. I uninstalled the keyboard driver/software and restarted my computer and this seemsto have fixed the problem.  Did you try that?

~T

HP Recommended

Uninstalling the Keyboard driver and restarting my computer helped. Thank you for your suggestions.

HP Recommended

Actually,

In my case the problem seems to have resolved itself spontaneously by itself this morning.

I guess in my case it'll be a mystery what caused the problem.

Thx,

Tony

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.