Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Here is my audio problem: when I connect my HDX X16 1200E|O laptop to my Panasonic HDMI TV - I have windows 7 - 64 bit - I hear popping "cork from bottle-like" sound every few seconds.  I have surround sound but have to turn on TV speakers as I haven't setup audio for surround yet.  I am playing NetFlix on TV.  Audio is good otherwise as is video.  Any suggestions?  Do I change audio settings on TV or on laptop (or both)?

Thanks for indulging this rather old newbie!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please follow the steps to fix the issue with Clicking Noise when HDMI Output is used for Sound.

Click Start->'Control Panel -> Sound -> Playback -> Select the entry that has Green Check Over, click Properties. Click Advanced Tab above,  Unclick 'Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device', click Apply/Ok.

Select the entry that has Green Check Over, click Properties. click Enhancements tab above, check 'Disable all Sound Effects', click Apply,  open MEdia Player, and play an  Audio File. If it does not work, you may need to install Update for Sound Driver, and  Video Card Firmware (BIOS)

Contact HP Support.

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

Thanks. That did not solve the problem but, where I saw elsewhere, changing device settings (from taskbar volume icon) to SPDIF did fix the problem.  Perhaps KiranTalluri's solution was necessary too for some the only change in this solution that I applied was to disable all sound effects as suggested.  Have not tried to insolate any one solution but, when done in concert, the solution worked and I have no more popping noises.  Thanks and kudos to all who have volunteered suggestions.

HP Recommended

OOPS - I guess I was to quick off the mark.    As soon as I posted my reply, I started up NetFlix on my tv again and, although the popping was not heard for the first minute or so., the popping started up again, loud and clear.  So, although I have indicated "problem solved" I am back to square one and wondering how I can change this post back (to problem not solved).  Any help?

HP Recommended

Hi KiranTalluri, Seems that I was replying in the wrong place.  Please see my comments, one of which says "solved".  I found the option to change to "not solved".  

I changed from SPDIF in Playback tab but this had no sound.  Then changed to NVIDIA HDMI Output which did give sound. But then got "Audio System Error" (Code N8157-3140) when "disable all enhancements" unchecked. Both worked - there was only a minor change in sound.
I then checked loudness equalization which was done after Error. Have to restart my pc and try again. Any more ideas?  Thanks for your help.  I will post result after I restart my laptop.

HP Recommended

OK, I restarted my laptop and NVidia HDMI disappeared. I had to unplug and plug back in the HDMI cable. Still no sound. I then saw that IE explorer had suddenly appeared in "Volume Mixer" but it was muted.  I then unmuted it and, voila, sound from the tv and, to date, NO POPPING:smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy: !!!!  A lot of messing around though. As soon as Apple TV becomes available in Canada, I think I will pick one up to avoid wear and tear on my laptop and all this other fussing around.

HP Recommended

:HalfEyes: Back to the drawing board. Popping noise is back so all this messing around has accomplished nothing!:smileysad: I GIVE UP!

HP Recommended

Hi,

It is Sad, I appreciate your patience in resolving this issue.

As I mentioned, if the Noise comes only when HDMI TV is used through HDMI Cable, we need to install Firmware Update for Graphics Card, however, even though Graphics Card has HDMI Capability, still Integrated Audio Controller should display HDMI Audio Out Entry on Sound/Playback Tab.

Could you let me know the Model Number of the Laptop to see what was the Audio Controller shipped with?

Thank You.
Kiran Talluri

Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

Hi, Model number is HDX X16-1200EO (Premium Notebook;sn CNF9113SQ2; Product No: NM109UA). Thanx for your quick response.

HP Recommended

Hi, I found the only driver update"IDT High Definition Audio CODEC Driver
2009-09-01 , Version:6.10.6225.0 A, 26.1M" and installed it.  Didn't make any difference; but, I now notice NVIDIA HDMI 'Output:100%' is displayed even when cable not inserted.  I am still getting popping noise BUT, ONLY WHEN I CLOSE THE LID OF MY LAPTOP.   It doesn't seem to pop when the lid is open.  I have played with monitor settings including advanced NVIDIA to no avail.  Is there some other way to watch my tv without having to leave my laptop screen open? I would like to close it as it is distracting, unnecessary power using and wear and tear. I believe there is some setting being overlooked on my Display and Multiple Monitors settings. :Crying: and (sorry) :HalfEyes: Any further suggestions??

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.