Question

Honor Student
Derek7
Message 1 of 2 (2,801 Views)

HP Compaq nc6220 laptop sound problem

First off, I searched through the forum and couldn't find a definitive answer, just many instances of the same complaint.  I recently purchased a used unit which was wiped clean.  I installed XP Pro SP2 and installed all the drivers from the HP site for this particular unit.  I had to monkey around with the audio settings until I finally heard sound from the internal speakers.  Once the system went into standby the internal speakers stopped working again, but sound is available through the headphones.  So, the sound card and drivers are working to that extent.  I tried to replicate the method I initially used to get the sound working, to no avail.

After some long research, many users of this particular laptop experience this problem regardless of operating system (XP, Vista, Linux).  Is there a definitive fix for this problem.  Microsoft offers a hotfix for HP products, but I'm a bit leery of going that route until I can gather enough information.

Thanks in advance for any and all contributions.

Honor Student
Derek7
Message 2 of 2 (1,750 Views)

Re: HP Compaq nc6220 laptop sound problem

UPDATE:  I installed Ubuntu's Linux OS as a multiboot option on this laptop.  When I boot into Windows XP Pro, no sound.  When I boot into Linux, I have sound.  Just as I suspected, the problem is with Windows.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation