Question

Honor Student
DeannaTroi
Message 1 of 6 (12,023 Views)

HP DV7-1285DX Notebook Orange Mute Button

I am having a problem in which the mute button on my HP DV7-1285DX stays orange although the mute button does work to turn sound off and on. I see that this seems to be a common problem, but none of the solutions I have seen in this forum have resolved it. I have performed a hard reset by unplugging the laptop and removing the battery, updated the bios, and installed the updated Quick Launch drivers. None of these steps have had any effect. Can anyone suggest another solution? This system is running Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit edition.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 2 of 6 (12,007 Views)

Re: HP DV7-1285DX Notebook Orange Mute Button

Mute button stays orange (off) is related to Audio driver and also hardware issue.

Try installing latest audio driver from your support page model.

Please remember to uninstall the old one first before trying a new one.

If that does not help, you may have a hardware issue, doing system recovery by choosing factory install option would be able to determine iether it is hardware issue or not.

If after doing system recovery the problem remain, 100% you have hardware issue.

Try it, hopefully it is just a software issue.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Student
deservoarbitrio
Message 3 of 6 (11,916 Views)

I have the same problem with my dv7-1267cl.   I've called in several times to HP--no help at all.  This has been an intermittant problem until I followed the HP Update Recommendation and flashed my BIOS.  Now the mute button problem won't clear at all.  Tried the hard reset.  HP call-in service wants me to delete the driver for the touchpad and reinstall earlier driver.  Question is, how do I work the computer without a touchpad, hmm?

Starting to get disappointed with HP. 

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 4 of 6 (11,893 Views)

You need to try their troubleshoot procedures first, just do it, evenif it will not work.

After that you may demand HP to repair it on their facility.

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Honor Student
tdhomie5
Message 5 of 6 (10,606 Views)

I have a dv4-1275mx Special Edition with the same problem but i am so grateful that it is fixed! All you do is redownload the quicklaunch buttons, they will be updated. Then go back and redownload your audio drive, and under the "enhancements" you will see "fixes the LED mute problem". My audio was named IDT High-Definition Audio CODEC Driver yours may be too.

Honor Student
edicus
Message 6 of 6 (10,068 Views)

Hello, I was also having this problem with my HP dv41120us and found a solution that works!

The mute icon on my keyboard keeps on making a sound whenever it turns to orange color. Also most of the time, my laptop just freezes and I'm thinking might be something related to my sound device. Most of the suggestion here says you have to reinstall your sound driver. They are correct but you need to install the correct driver else they won't work.

The driver I used is sp41693.exe which can be download from HP (just google it I'm sure you'll find where to download it). Hope that helps. Good luck! :smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation