Question

Honor Student
Akeene
Message 1 of 26 (19,734 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Envy 15 laptop has no sound at all.

I had sound coming from my speakers yesterday, but today none at all.  What is going on HP?

Honor Student
JonnyG21
Message 2 of 26 (19,725 Views)

Re: HP Envy 15 laptop has no sound at all.

I am having the same issue.  I have gone through all the diagnostics, but nothing is working. I tried reseting to the last time I had audio, but still no answer.  Please help!

Honor Student
kyfam4
Message 3 of 26 (19,668 Views)

Same problem here. Itried uninstalling/reinstalling all audio drivers, to no avail. Its a shame, I bought this laptop specifically for the "sound quality", and now there is no sound. HP, better do something quick, or they will have lost a life long customer.

I am a student, so sending my laptop now is a total inconvienence. It is still under warranty, so I will if I must.

Student
blueclouder
Message 4 of 26 (19,614 Views)

Having same issue HP - any solution for this?   Suspecting it's related to an update...

Honor Student
kyfam4
Message 5 of 26 (19,608 Views)

Uninstall Hp coolsense. It fixed mine. Must be some kind of scripting issue.
Honor Student
pmorgan320
Message 6 of 26 (19,099 Views)

Shut down your computer. then when booting it up, start pressing down the ESCAPE key until the system screen comes up. then go to BIOS. then all the way to the right where it says EXIT, but choose the option LOAD SETUP DEFAULTS. then EXIT SAVING CHANGES and it should work fine.

Student
yandavi
Message 7 of 26 (18,782 Views)

So by resetting the defaults on the bios, it worked.  Sound returned.  Is there any explanation as to why this worked?  Thanks!

Honor Student
MiDispiace
Message 8 of 26 (18,612 Views)

The BIOS reset did nothing to solve my sound issue.  Same laptop, and just yesterday the sound stopped.  No headphone sound or speaker sound.  

Honor Student
CaptainJackfrui
Message 9 of 26 (18,580 Views)

I had a similar problem after unplugging an hdmi cord from a tv. No sound worked on my HP Envy-15 running Win 7. I tried updating/uninstalling then reinstalling drivers, updating/resetting the bios, and even a system restore but to no avail.

SOLUTION that worked for me: I booted Ubuntu 12.10 from an external hard drive and via Alsamixer, configured sound settings. Sound returned after restart on Win 7.

@MiDispiace - If you still have this issue and would consider fixing through another OS (ie Ubuntu) or need help doing that, let me know and I'll post a more detailed step by step.

Mark
Honor Student
GraceKwong
Message 10 of 26 (17,591 Views)

[ Edited ]

Solved!!!!!   I followed the steps in the following post and my audio returned.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PC-Sound-and-Audio-e-g-Windows-8/dv7-pc-Beats-Audio-No-sound-t...

Basically it was download drivers (and save it for last step), disable audio driver, hard reset laptop, disconnect all peripheral devices, BIO default reset at startup, let driver reinstall (mine did it automatically).  The Beats audio returned.  I did not even need to re-activate the sound devices.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation