Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

AUDIO VOLUME FLUCTUATION/AUTO LEVELING ISSUE

#BeatsAudio #StillNotFixed #HowManyYearsWillItTake

HP Envy m6 15z-j100       G3R12UA#ABA      Windows 8.1 purchased on 17SEP14

It doesn't happen with the internal laptop speakers, just any external device, i.e. several hundred dollar external speakers, HDMI to TV etc.

Had a similar HP laptop with windows 8 and Beats Audio for about a year or so. Had the same problem then and after a few months I found a fix online. Had to disable Beats Audio which I did not want to do as it severely degraded audio quality.

Laptop was destroyed so I bought a new one just before leaving home.  Now I have 15 days to return the laptop to Best Buy or I am stuck with it, and I won't be home for three weeks.

The laptop has Realtek Audio, not IDT whatever.

All the fixes I have found this time don't appear to work as the drivers are all up to date, I installed the latest Windows  updates, lowering the sound quality to "CD" didn't solve the problem, there are no "enhancements" in the "Advanced" tab to disable and there is no IDT Software that I can detect.

It would be severely understating the case to say I am frustrated to be forced to mess around in the registry less than 24 hours after purchasing a laptop for a known issue that has existed for at least 18 months.

If I was home right now I wouldn't be writing this as I would no longer have the HP Envy laptop to write it on, it would be back in the hands of the good people at Best Buy.

I am willing to disable/uninstall the beats audio and degrade the sound again if it will also disable the leveling issue.

I don't want to, but I will if that is what it takes to get my Brand New Hewlett Packard® Envy® Laptop to function correctly.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I'm with you!

I just bought new Envy 17 laptop and quickly became furious with the audio fluctuations due to Beats Audio 'Enhancements'. Searched the internet and found a solution, fixed and stays fixed!

While logged into the PC with administrator privileges:

1) Open Device Manager

2) Scoll down to 'Sound, video and game controllers'

3) Right click on the audio device listed and click on 'Properties'

4) Click on the 'Driver' tab

5) Select 'Update Driver...'

6) In the window that opens, click on 'Browse my computer for driver software'

7) In the window that opens, click on 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

😎 From the list of available drivers Select 'High Definition Audio Device'  (The generic Microsoft Windows Driver)

This completely removes the OEM driver AND Beats Audio 'Enhancements'

I'm now enjoying clear, crisp, clean, high fidelity music. I listen using iTunes (free) that has a build-in equalizer, also verified it works great now with Windows Media Player.

Good Luck!!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I'm with you!

I just bought new Envy 17 laptop and quickly became furious with the audio fluctuations due to Beats Audio 'Enhancements'. Searched the internet and found a solution, fixed and stays fixed!

While logged into the PC with administrator privileges:

1) Open Device Manager

2) Scoll down to 'Sound, video and game controllers'

3) Right click on the audio device listed and click on 'Properties'

4) Click on the 'Driver' tab

5) Select 'Update Driver...'

6) In the window that opens, click on 'Browse my computer for driver software'

7) In the window that opens, click on 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer'

😎 From the list of available drivers Select 'High Definition Audio Device'  (The generic Microsoft Windows Driver)

This completely removes the OEM driver AND Beats Audio 'Enhancements'

I'm now enjoying clear, crisp, clean, high fidelity music. I listen using iTunes (free) that has a build-in equalizer, also verified it works great now with Windows Media Player.

Good Luck!!!

HP Recommended

Blessings upon you sir, and everyone that looks like you!

This is by no means definitive in that it is a workaround: it doesn't solve the problem, it disables the problem. However do not misunderstand, I am immensely grateful for the solution in that it DOES stop the fluctuations.

It is unfortunate that I cannot use Beats Audio because I do like the bass end it provides. Mayhap HP will reimburse me for the incompatable sofware I paid for. Or perhaps not.

If only you could solve the other issues with this laptop, for example: frequently unable to close an iexplorer page without "end task" in the Task Manager, core temperature hit 151F this morning while playing music on winamp with no other process and an ambient room temp of 55F. I am not literally asking you to solve these, I appreciate your help and will resolve these issues via Best Buy's liberal return policy.

Thank you again so very much and may you live to be a thousand years old and your head daily annointed with fragrent oils by fecund maidens, their navels stuffed with dates, their every movement recalling the undulations of the morning tides.

UnYin

HP Recommended

Fnert, 

I have had this issue myself. In order to keep the Beats functionality just try and disabled the Headphone playback device. I have not had to remove/change any drivers. You can do this by:

Right-click windows sound in the toolbar

Select Playback devices

Right-click 'Headphones' and select Disable

Then try your sound.

HP Recommended

I appreciate the workaround, since nothing else solved the annoying volume fluctuation on my new HP Pavilion with beatsaudio.  What I can't understand is why HP hasn't resolved this problem - it's been out there for a long time and affects many of their products and yet I've found nothing here or elsewhere indicating that they even acknowledge the problem, let alone are attempting to fix it.  Perhaps HP's deal with beatsaudio is so lucrative they can continue to sell laptops which don't function properly without worrying about the impact on their reputation.  Such as it is.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.