Question

Top Student
tmcusick
Message 1 of 144 (21,758 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP G60-535DX Windows 7 Home Premium Internal Microphone Inaudible

[ Edited ]

I am having problems with the internal microphone located at the top of the display on the HP G60 notebook PC, pre-loaded with the Windows 7 Home Premium operating system.  All OS, PC drivers and system ROM have been updated to current.

The sound it produces is at best barely audible or usually completely inaudible.  This is true when I use the internal Sound Recorder app as well as when I try to utilize Windows Live and Skype for either audio or video calls.  The fact it behaves this way using Sound Recorder proves it has nothing to do with firewalls or internet latency.  Also, I can hear and see the people I'm trying to communicate with just fine.

I first noticed the problem on an HP G60t system I purchased from hpshopping.com in early December 2009, which was a custom build and shipped to me.   I opened a case with support and they told me I would have to ship it back for repair or I could just return it.  I returned it.

Figuring I was just unlucky enough to get a bad system, I then went to Best Buy in late December 2009 and bought a second HP G60, this time a G60-535DX, which was similarly configured.  Guess what?  The exact same problem.

I have been researching these HP support forums and the customer reviews posted at bestbuy.com for the HP G60.  It seems many people are having the exact same problems.  I have tried all of the suggestions I have found, including the following, but nothing changes the fact the microphone quality on two HP G60 notebooks purchased from separate retail outlets / inventories is extremely poor and essentially non functional.

1. Updated HP Drivers and ROM
  2. Updated Windows software
  3. Uninstalled Conexant Pebble High Definition SmartAudio driver in Device Manager, then reinstalled
  4. Unplugged and removed battery, pressed power for 60 seconds, reassembled
  5. Adjusted Conexant Pebble High Definition SmartAudio driver property settings, including changing the Default Format, Exclusive Mode and Signal Enhancement settings

Does anyone have any other ideas? 

What about HP?  If you go to the official support home page for the HP G60-535DX, the second listed FAQ is titled "Resolving no sound or audio problems in Windows 7", whey discuss microphone settings.  Does HP monitor the number of systems having the exact same problem, acknowledge a configuration flaw, and put out a notice or recall?  I know I could just return this system.  But I'd prefer to get this to work.

Does anyone have this working properly?  Is it just luck of the draw?  Thanks for any ideas and/or suggestions, including how we hold HP accountable for resolution.

Honor Student
bendoyle
Message 2 of 144 (21,494 Views)

Re: HP G60-535DX Windows 7 Home Premium Internal Microphone Inaudible

Hi.  This is funny...I have basically the exact same story.  I helped my in-laws purchase a new Hp G60-535DX at Best Buy over the holidays.  We got it home and were using Skype with no success.  So I tried recording some audio using the Windows sound recorder (same as you).  The audio was identical (i.e. horrible).  I tried playing around with some settings in the control panel, but after having no luck we decided it was just a bad apple and returned it to Best Buy for an exchange.  The Geek Squad guys at Best Buy confirmed that the problem was bad and gave us a replacement.  But upon returning home and going through the same tests we discovered the exact same problem.  As an aside, my brother-in-law also has this same laptop, and has the same problem as well.  So there is definitely an issue here.  My hope is that it is simply a Windows 7 driver problem and that it can be fixed soon by HP.  Otherwise, it makes this laptop virtually useless for them since they mainly wanted it for Skype.

Top Student
the_emi_guy
Message 3 of 144 (21,462 Views)

Just bought this for xmas and same problem. Anyone know if  it works with an external microphone?

One thing I noticed is that under ControlPanel/Sounds/Recording there is only one microphone shown. My other computers have entries for at least two, sometimes three, recording sources (1 - microphone, 2- line in on my desktop, 1- external mic, 2-internal mic, 3- stereo mix on my netbook).

Listening closely it sounds like there are more than one audio source being combined.

In the process of mucking with this I went to ControlPanel/Sounds/Recording/Microphone and changed DeviceUsage to "Don't use this device", now my laptop has no microphone and I don't know how to get it back. ControlPanel is now greyed out for all microphone options.

Top Student
tmcusick
Message 4 of 144 (21,434 Views)

I wanted to provide an update.  I took my second G60 with microphone problems back to Best Buy and worked with their Geek Squad team.  They validated the problem, then suggested I swap it out for a new one.  I wanted them to prove a new G60 wouldn't have the same problem before I agreed to return the one I had.  They pulled a new one from the floor and guess what?  This new one from the floor had the very same problem as the previous two.

I decided to keep mine and I just bought an external USB microphone.  I went into Device Manager and disabled the internal microphone.  Sound Recorder, Windows LIve and Skype all work just fine now.

Disappointing but I figured I didn't want to pay a lot more for a more expensive model and risk having something else not work with all the time I've put into setting this one up.  Hopefully it is just a driver but there definately is a broader problem here.

Student
dcdivenut
Message 5 of 144 (21,353 Views)

I am having the exact same probem with a laptop I purchased directly from hp. Thanks for saving me from hours with tech support for a return that would not have done anything. However, I am very loathe to now go out and spend money to work around something that should  be fine. I mean it is not as if the audio is sort of bad... it is UNUSABLE. I may call HP and see if they are willing to send an external mic free of charge if they cannot resolve via driver or other software fix/tweak.

Top Student
the_emi_guy
Message 6 of 144 (21,327 Views)

Folks,

Try the following, I think it improved mine...

1 - ControlPanel/Sound/Recording/Microphone device usage = "don't use this device"

2 - Shut down /restart computer

3 - ControPanel/Sound/Recording/Microphone It will indicate that there is no recording device installed and everything is greyed out. However by right clicking you can get the option to show disabled devices. Select the device and say that you want to now want to use it.

Intern
Goody2Shz
Message 7 of 144 (21,278 Views)

I have had my G60 at HP for service twice now.  For the exact same issue.  This last time, a technician called me to explain that it is a universal problem with the G60 laptops.  He said my G60 was being returned to me NOT FIXED.  He said they are working on a driver to fix the problem.  It is a Win 7 driver issue.  He said to keep watching the HP site for the updated driver.  He gave no indication of when the driver will be available.  He did say, though, that if they cannot develop a driver to fix the microphone problem, they will recall the laptops to replace the hardware.  So..keep checking for an update to the driver.  If they don't come up with one soon, I will be calling them back asking for a solution.

Top Student
the_emi_guy
Message 8 of 144 (21,259 Views)

Folks,

My G60 internal mic is definitely working correctly now. I is better than my daughter's netbook, both with skype and with SoundRecorder, and significantly better than a few days ago when it was unusable.

Someone please try out the procedure I outlined earlier and post back.  If this isn't what fixed it , and it just somehow fixed itself, than it will probably return.

At least I know the HW is good.

Intern
Goody2Shz
Message 9 of 144 (21,213 Views)

You are very lucky, then. Technology is not foreign to me. I had done a lot of troubleshooting before contacting HP the first time, including disabling the microphone, etc. When I contacted support, they ran me through all the stuff I had already tried. I was told to return it for service. The mic cables had been replaced, but that did not fix the problem. As soon as I tried the mic, I knew it was still not functioning properly.

I contacted support the same day I got the laptop back. I was told to return it to them for further repairs. It was then that an experienced technician called me on the phone to give me the scoop on the driver problem.

I hope your solution works for others--I even tried it myself again for the umpteenth time. No go for me. I wish everyone else the best, though. It is really inconvenient to have the microphone cut in and out or stop working altogether.

I am awaiting a driver...and not all that happy about paying good money for something that doesn't work.

Intern
incomx
Message 10 of 144 (21,096 Views)

Well, I've tried everything with no luck. I went to Best Buy, and had to reformat the laptop before getting the exchange. Same problem with the new laptop. The recomendation you gave us, did not worked for me, still having bad audio when recording.

I am a HP employee
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.

***Click on “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!***

“I work for HP but my posts and replies are my own.“
Dany H.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation