HP G60 no sound when using a HDMI cable to connect to TV. (3827 Views)
Top Student
LouiseA
Message 1 of 10 (3,827 Views)

HP G60 no sound when using a HDMI cable to connect to TV.

[ Edited ]

Hi,  I have read the posts on this topic, but nothing quite fits my problem.  I have a HP G60 Notebook PC. I use a HDMI cable to connect to my HD Phillips TV.  Picture is great but no sound.

My Display Adapter or Graphics Card is NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G.

My Sound, Video and Game Controllers or Sound Cards are:

Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221

High Definition Audio Device

nb - I have updated the drivers for all of the above.

When I connect to the TV I go into the Sound option in the Control Panel and change the default to the Digital Audio (HDMI) option.  The sound appears to work as the bars on the right move up and down in a green colour indicating sound, but no sound comes out.  NB the High Definition Audio Device sound card is associated with the Digital Audio (HDMI) option and the Conexant High Definition SmartAudio 221 sound card is associated with the Speakers option in the Sound window.

I would greatly appreciate your help on this matter.  I have been trying to resolve this for some time now without success.

NB - am running Windows 7 Enterprise Service Pack 1. 32 bit. AMD Athlon Dual Core.

Many many many thanks,

Louise

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 10 (3,818 Views)

Re: HP G60 no sound when using a HDMI cable to connect to TV.

HI,

You shouldn't have needed to change the default sound output with Windows 7.

All I have ever needed to do is connect the HDMI connector to the display port on my notabook and connect it to my Phillips TV. I used the Windows icon + P and select either duplicate or projector only.  (projector only will turn off the notebook display)

I did have to set up my HD TV to HDMI input from PC. That was the only other thing I had to do.

I have 1080p video + sound whenever I want to use my TV as a monitor or a theatre display.

Best regards,

erico.

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
LouiseA
Message 3 of 10 (3,816 Views)

Hi Erico,

If I dont change the default sound, it stays in Speakers mode and the sound only comes from the laptop.

I too use Windows button + P and select Projector.

I have also checked the TV options and ensured the Audio option is set to PC\HD.

After all this it still doesnt work.

I hope you have some more ideas? Please.

Many thanks,

Louise

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 10 (3,802 Views)

Hi,

Here are a few things for you to check. Open Control Panel and select sound.

snd1.PNG

Put your cursor on the ATI HDMI output and  left-click it to select it. Now select and left-click on Properties down below and to the right. A dialog window for the selected HDMI output device should open. You will note that mine says Use this device (enable). Does yours have that choice selected? 

snd2.PNG

I plugged in the HDMI cable between my TV and the laptop display port. The change to the checkmark on the HDMI output is automatic. There is still no video output to the TV nor sound as I haven't yek used Windows key+P,  duplicate  and use the remote to select  the side HDMI input as the display source yet. Once I have done that the sound and video are output  to the HDTV.

snd3.PNG

I hope that this helps you to configure your notebook output selection.

Best regards,

erico

Help others seeking a solution by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
LouiseA
Message 5 of 10 (3,788 Views)

Thank you so much Erico,

I will try this tonight and let you know.

If it doesnt work I will send you screenshots as they are very helpful.

Thanks again Erico, I will let you know,

Louise

Top Student
LouiseA
Message 6 of 10 (3,763 Views)

Hi Erico,

I tried what you said again but without success. I even updated the driver so that that audio driver is the same as the graphics driver i.e.. NVIDIA but this has not helped either:

Do you have any other ideas?

Many many thanks,

Louise

Top Student
LouiseA
Message 7 of 10 (3,762 Views)

[ Edited ]

Provost
erico
Message 8 of 10 (3,730 Views)

was the audio output HDMI jack enabled?

Honor Student
Surkan
Message 9 of 10 (3,088 Views)

In the sound box there is no option of ATI HDMI how do you install this opti9on or driver. its jsut not there.

Student
thetanka
Message 10 of 10 (1,689 Views)

I've run to the same problem too as with many here. My conclusion is if your graphics has overheated like mine did before I did the copper shim and thermo paste mod..then the chip set is skewed. No mater what you do software and setting wise...the HDMI audio is fist to go.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation