Question

Student
Noeyescanseeme
Message 1 of 15 (21,121 Views)

HP MediaSmart SmartMenu has stopped working...

I just downloaded SP 2 for Windows Vista. Eversence the reboot whenver I turn up the volume up or down with the easy button on top the keyboard. I get the following message: HP MediaSmart SmartMenu has stopped working.

I updated all my drivers and BIOS but still nothing. Can someone please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Teacher
Toronto699
Message 2 of 15 (21,077 Views)

Re: HP MediaSmart SmartMenu has stopped working...

there is a newer version of mediasmart dated 03/2009 and a newer version of media smart tv dated 03/2009 , that may solve the problem
Honor Student
DRamage
Message 3 of 15 (18,023 Views)

I have two identical HP Pavilion Entertainment PC's one of them is having an issue with the MediaSmart buttons above the keyboard.  They no longer work.  Has anyone had this issue and if so what did you do to resolve this issue.  I did go on a live chat with HP and the last option I was given was to do a restore on this laptop.  Which to me is a lot of work to backup and reinstall all software that has been added to this machine.  Like I said, I have two identical machines.  Mine is working fine - The husbands machine is the one not working.  My product number is HP Pavilion dv7-1285dx,
Honor Student
GarrySanders
Message 4 of 15 (17,980 Views)

I am experiencing the same problem.  I updated Vista with the Service Pack 2 this morning, and immediately the smart menu mute button muted the sound and the button no longer works to unmute the computer.  You cannot unmute the computer using the Windows sound mixer.  Does anyone know of a work around?  I updated the BIOS and scanned for other updates.  Thank you for any help.
Honor Student
DRamage
Message 5 of 15 (17,959 Views)

Vista SP2 was installed on this machine a while back.  I am not sure what the time frame of the MediaSmart buttons stopped working but it seems to be right around the same time.  I noticed on my other machine that when I would perform a system health check the latest BIOS was not included on the other machine that is working properly.  I tried to download and install the latest BIOS update on this machine and it seemed like it wasn't installing correctly.  I only say that because after the BIOS update was run, the machine would shut down.  I would rerun the health check and the BIOS was still listed.  I did download and install all new drivers for the MediSmart issues, but I still have the same result now as I did then.  I am wondering if I shouldn't re-install Vista SP2 on this machine only because the BIOS didn't update correctly during the first few attempts that I was not aware of.  I had to actually download the BIOS update on my other machine and copy it to this machine before it ran correctly.  I am thinking one has to do with the other.  If I ran Vista SP2 with an older BIOS -With me completely unaware- It could have caused the issue I am having on this machine.  Let me check that out and I will repost what happens.  I did download all of the new MediaSmart applications and maybe I should download them from the other machine just like I did the BIOS that finally ran.  That is an option for me.  I would suggest below to download the updates to a different machine other than the one having issues.  I never received an error when trying to run the MediaSmart buttons.  They just don't work, as if they are not there.  I will let you know the results of the Vista SP2.  Also, I am going to re-download the MediaSmart software on my other machine if the Service Pack doesn't fix the issue and re-install them.  Sorry I have not been much help but I am in desperate need of help myself here!  Hopefully something that I do can help you get yours fixed as well.

Student
Ctrlx
Message 6 of 15 (11,459 Views)

HP MediaSmart has not stopped completely, it just does not play any inserted DVD media. VLC will play all inserted media, just would be nice to have HP MediaSmart work properly....I'm hoping that an update will make it start working....

Honor Student
GarrySanders
Message 7 of 15 (11,389 Views)

I found a workaround for this problem somewhat.  We have noticed that the MediaSmart bar is no longer reading DVDs that are inserted into the machine and the sound function may or may not work.  For the non-reading of DVDs, we can now load the DVD and then open it with Windows Media Player normally.  Not perfect, but it works.  The sound we finally got to work after restarting the computer many times.

Honor Student
David2111
Message 8 of 15 (9,365 Views)

I have a solution to this problem and assuming that your situation is simular to mine where the media smart touch buttons at the top no longer function or partial operate(volume moves alittle only),

Unplug your laptop and pull out your battery and press your power button.

Replace your battery and cord and restart.

There seems to be a residal charge buildup  in the touch panel that hampers the operation. This is discharged when you press your power button on the laptop  without any power and restores the panel upon reboot.

Student
kot289
Message 9 of 15 (7,772 Views)

I just install W7 ultimate and drivers for HP Pavilion Dv7 3165el but smart menu is not working,just not openig.how can i solve the problem?Please Help,I need That my TV-Tuner back....

Honor Student
2raleigh
Message 10 of 15 (7,150 Views)

THIS WORKS!!! So simple, but it did the trick!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation