Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

The HP Mini 210 Netbook has a SINGLE 4-Pole (TRRS) 3.5mm Headset Audio Combo Socket.  All Headsets have TWO 3.5mm 3-Pole (TRS) Jack Plugs; One for the Headphone and a separate one for the Microphone.

I have contacted HP Support and asked for either:

a) the Part Number of a suitable adapter ... or ...

b) the pinout connections of the socket so I can make an adapter myself.

Post-Sales replied glibly that I should go to Best-Buy for an adapter. They don't sell one .... I even tried in the USA when I was there last month.

Today, Technical (Rudi) said that I needed to return the HP Headset I have and buy a "suitable" one from HP. He was unable to give me a part number and told me to call Sales! When I persisted that he should guide me to the product on the HP site, he hung up! I also have contacted Support by email but have not received any replies other than the automatic acknowledgment.
Any help with this would be welcome.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, having done some more testing, the solution is now obvious!

The Pinout on the 4-Pole Combo socket doesn't follow the AV Cable (standard) where the Body of the plug is Ground 

It is more like the Canon Camcorder AV Cable where the Ring2 is the Ground and the Body is the Mic (Video on the Canon Cable). The connections specified below work perfectly:

4 Pole Jack                 Headphone Socket          Mic Socket

Tip                                    Tip (Left Audio)

Ring 1                            Ring (Right Audio)

Ring 2                                   Body                               Body

Body                                                                             Tip + Ring

Make sure that you use a plastic bodied 4-Pole Jack because the Body is the Mic (Live) connection and would cause interference if touched

I hope this helps others who encounter this issue.

View solution in original post

40 REPLIES 40
HP Recommended

Check if this helps...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110445018992&rvr_id=&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
HP Recommended

No, I have made one of those, Connections as below:

4 Pole Jack                  Headphone Socket          Mic Socket

Screen                               Screen                             Screen

Tip                                       Tip

Ring 1                                 Ring

Ring 2                                                                         Tip + Ring

The Headphone socket works unless the Mic is plugged in. When the Mic is plugged in, The Headphone output cross feeds into the Mic Input.

Also, The Ring 2 exhibits -4.5V Bias Voltage which is required for an Electret Mic to work ... except that it should be +4.5V not -4.5V.

If the polarity of the Mic Socket is reversed, the Mic works but the Headphone output still cross feeds into the Mic input.

I believe that there may ne a design issue with this product.

HP Recommended

OK, having done some more testing, the solution is now obvious!

The Pinout on the 4-Pole Combo socket doesn't follow the AV Cable (standard) where the Body of the plug is Ground 

It is more like the Canon Camcorder AV Cable where the Ring2 is the Ground and the Body is the Mic (Video on the Canon Cable). The connections specified below work perfectly:

4 Pole Jack                 Headphone Socket          Mic Socket

Tip                                    Tip (Left Audio)

Ring 1                            Ring (Right Audio)

Ring 2                                   Body                               Body

Body                                                                             Tip + Ring

Make sure that you use a plastic bodied 4-Pole Jack because the Body is the Mic (Live) connection and would cause interference if touched

I hope this helps others who encounter this issue.

HP Recommended

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but if the socket doesn't follow the standard, does that mean I have to buy a specific plug adapter with 3 bands? Or can I buy any adapter for my mic that has the 3 bands?

3 bands meaning the three black rings as pictured on the plug here on the right:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01633145

So for instance, could I buy this item and have it work fine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270577963025

??

Thanks

HP Recommended

The 4-Pole Jack shown in the RHS picture of your 1st link shows the standard arrangement for Camcorders as I referred to in my solution Post. It is WRONG for the HP Mini 210 (and I suspect for the 110 too).

The Netbook 4-Pole socket has the Grounds for all signals connected to the Ring2 Terminal (Terminal 5 in your diagram) and the Mic Signal is on the Sleeve ( Terminal 1 in your diagram).

Below is the adapter I made. I used a 3-Pole Splitter cable I bought on eBay. I cut off the Plug and wired the two sockets into a 4-Pole Plug as described in my Post. The reason for the Yellow sleeve is that the 4-Pole Plig I used has a metal body.

711iD8C059EFAB1C4639

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

But this is not acceptable! how HP produce something which is not working?

HP Recommended

I totally agree:smileysad:

HP Recommended

Hi ,

I totally agree HP should sort this out.

However, I found the headset/mic  that came with my Nokia 5800 Express mobile phone actually works ok with the 210.

Bit late for me as I've just bought the bits to make your converter. Hope this helps 

HP Recommended

Yes, SOME Nokia products use this Pinout ... but not all. The Nokia CA75U cable "should" work but the ones I bought on eBay have the Grounds connected to the Sleeve (Body) of the Plug. Also, the "Camcorder" Cables sold by Chinese sellers on eBay are similarly mis-connected. The genuine Canon Camcorder Cable has the Grounds on the Ring2 terminal. Fortunately, the Chinese sellers were quick to refund my payment.

Since my last post, I had a call from a very nice lady from HP Customer Service in India. She understood the problem and I emailed all of the information to her after the call. She came close to agreeing with me that HP should supply the adapter with the Netbook.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.