Question

Honor Student
Altrius
Message 1 of 6 (1,298 Views)

HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC - Sound not working without headphones

I'm not sure what happened when I allowed my brother to use my computer, but audio no longer works without headphones plugged into the jack, except the tune played during startup when I turn it on (which plays normally without headphones). Additionally, it may be nothing but since this happened I occasionally hear a short static glitch with no apparent cause. It may just be the headphones I'm using, but I thought I'd note it just in case.

I'm using Windows 7, by the way, and I've had the computer for just under a year now.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 6 (1,293 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC - Sound not working without headphones

Hi,

Can you post back with the full Model No. and Product No. of your dv6 series notebook - see Here for a further explanation.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Altrius
Message 3 of 6 (1,288 Views)

Sorry about that. The Product Number is LW272UA#ABC

Honor Student
Altrius
Message 4 of 6 (1,286 Views)

The situation has changed somewhat. I did nothing to adjust sound properties or anything, but sound now comes out of the speakers. However, it skips a little here and there when it does work, but it will still cut out entirely for long periods of time. Headphones still seem to allow the audio work fine, though.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 5 of 6 (1,281 Views)

Hi,

Try the following.

Download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp52501-53000/sp52658.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, shut down the notebook, unplug the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold  down the Power button for 30 seconds.  Re-insert the battery, plug in the AC Adapter and start the notebook.

When windows has fully loaded open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if the audio issue has improved at all.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Student
Wasique
Message 6 of 6 (482 Views)

the same problem is also going throuhg my laptop HP DV6-6119tx , the audio driver is still not working with your procedure, please solve the problem , why the speaker are not able to play without the headphone

thnk u

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation