Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I recently started to experience a sound problem with my Laptop.  I am not sure if the computer was in hibernate or standby but when I unmuted the sound via the touchpad, nothing happened.  the touchpad changes colors like its unmuting, and onscreen it says "mute" but the speakers are not working at all.  I pluged some headphones into the computer and they worked just fine.  i get no sound what so ever from the speakers.  I tryed updating the drivers and disabling the sound card and enabling it again, i also tryed the standard avti-virus stuff, de-frag,disk check.  I also went and reset all the speaker settings to defalt.  I checked all music/video players and made sure they were not muted. restarted the computer, shut it down and took the battery out.  still no sound from the speakers.  Anyone have a fix or any idea the issue?  the computer is like a year and a half to two years old, so unless its a known issue its not covered.  Any help with the matter would be greatly appreciated

57 REPLIES 57
HP Recommended
Go into SOUND option in control panel and check the playback devices. Even if you uninstall the driver, it will somtiems remain disbaled in that menu. If you don't even see a playback device in there, r-click on the background and tell it to "show hidden device". If the speakers are enabled, and the levels are turned up in that menu also, and it still doesn't work, then you probably have dead speakers.
The First Sacred Law of Computers: Fast, Reliable, Cheap.....Pick Two The Second Sacred Law of Computers: Ask not of others that which may be easier found by Google The Third Sacred Law of Computers: Thou shalt not ask about an error message one did not bother to write down
HP Recommended

Recently I lost all sound from internet. I am able to play CDs and downloads via my media player.  However, no sound from internet.

I've checked my computer sound and everything appears to be as it should be.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

HP Recommended
I have a HP Pavilion dv6636, I can listen to downloaded music from a media player and Skype works well.  But no sound from the internet.  I have gone through the HP Website trouble shooting with no results. 
HP Recommended

i am also having a problem with my sound. i installed Norton Antivirus and after i restarted it and everything my sound just disappeared. I have no sound at all. And when i click on the sound it says "No Audio Output Device is Installed"

is there anyway i can fix that without taking it in?

HP Recommended

Hello all,

I have been having the same problem...I noticed that my sound from my Vista dv6000 laptop would sometime work.  It has now completely stopped working.  I have used numerous problem solving suggestions...even from microsoft and HP.  My sound still does not work...whether from external or internal areas.  Please....can someone let me know how to solve this problem????

Thanks. <text deleted>

Message Edited by WendyM on 06-25-2009 08:53 AM
HP Recommended

my laptop's sound card recently stopped working about a week ago. i have an HP Pavilion dv6000 and i've tried a number of things to get it to start working again. i've also tried reinstalling it but everytime i try that i get an error message that says "MEDIA cannot be found" and it restarts after that but it doesn't work after that. i've only gotten it to work once since it stopped but the computer died on me before i had a chance to plug it back in and after that it was back to no sound. can anyone help me plz?

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same issue. If anyone has found some solutions, please let me know.

HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue on my Pavilion dv6 which came with Windows 7. Sound cut out  two days ago for everything. Went through all of the troubleshooting on the HP Sound issues page. Even video has been acting up. An update has been found for the ATI HD audio driver but the system fails to install it every time, and AMD doesn't list any new device or updates available for direct download. If someone figures this out, please post.

HP Recommended

"I'm having the same issue on my Pavilion dv6 which came with Windows 7. Sound cut out  two days ago for everything. Went through all of the troubleshooting on the HP Sound issues page. Even video has been acting up. An update has been found for the ATI HD audio driver but the system fails to install it every time, and AMD doesn't list any new device or updates available for direct download. If someone figures this out, please post."

Exactly the same, I done a system restore and it fixed it, but it keeps coming back, usually overnight and I cant be doing this everyday!  Need a fix! (Plus ive installed new anti virus which is now blocking system restore lol, BitDefender)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.