Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

PC Info

• Product name: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC
  • Product number: C6S45EA#ABU
  • Audio Driver: IDT High Definition Audio CODEC 6.10.6365.0

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay so here's the deal: I've had my laptop for over a year now and I've had no problems whatsoever (except when I upgraded to Windows 8.1 - it was terrible so I rebooted it back to Windows 8). So, since about last week, I noticed the sound going at times. I do be on YouTube looking up some videos and they play but without any sound. I thought this was just a glitch so I thought "maybe if I turn it off and on again" (great words from The IT Crowd), it should work again. It did, but only for a short time. A day later this happened again so I do the same thing again and again, turning it off and on, day after day. It was really annoying to open up my laptop and restarting it. This goes on until about 2 days ago; I went onto the forums in search for an answer.

I went to these forums for a solution: 

I've tried everything that was suggested in these forums. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers, troubleshooting the audio devices (shows no errors) and using the administrator tools to put audio services right. These worked for like an hour or so, but it kept going back to having no sound.

At the sound icon, there was never a 'xicon showing, it appeared as a low volume icon (even if the volume was on 50-60). It's very irritating!

Is there anything that I can do to solve this error?

Regards,

Dean

EDIT: I went into the Device Manager and scanned for hardware changes, this seemed to solve the problem, the sound was back working but it didn't last for very long either.

EDIT: Even when I plug in my earphones into the audio jack, the sound is not working.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi Dean,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I saw your post regarding the problem with the audio you having. You have been quite thorough in your troubleshooting and there is very little left to try. You can try using the System File Checker tool to see if detects any problems with the operating system that could be causing a problem. Pretty much the only other option would be to use a Restore Point to go back to when the audio was working. If you don't have a restore point or don't want to go back then I recommend calling HP. You can reach HP Total Care at 1-800-474-6836 in North America or start here if you live outside of North America.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Okay I did the scan as you suggested and it gave this as the result:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. Note that logging is currently not supported in offline servicing scenarios.

I went to the file itself and opened it, and to be honest, I haven't a clue how to read and/or understand it. It says I have corrupt files, but which is it? Will I upload the .log file here?

Regards,

Dean

HP Recommended

Did you try this? It seems to be working for most people experiencing this issue:

In the device manager locate the IDT High Definition Audio CODEC under sound, game and video controller.

Right click and select uninstall.

Restart your computer and open up the device manager again.

In the same spot under sound, game and video controller where the IDT CODEC used to be listed there will be something else listed.

Right click on that and select "scan for hardware changes" this will reinstall the IDT CODEC but I believe it is the updated driver which is actually compatible.

It has been working for me so far, but I will keep you updated if it fails again. For now  I would try that!! good luck 🙂

HP Recommended

Yeah I did try that; it was the first thing I did!

As I mentioned in my first post, I went here to find a solution, tried it and it worked for about an hour before going back to no sound.

I should also say that; you know that mute button on the f11 key? When you press it, the orange light doesn't show.

Thanks for helping!

Regards,

Dean

HP Recommended

UGH you are right 😞 my volume actually copped out too... I think I am going to uninstall the IDT audio permanently and revert back to HP audio if I can find a tutorial for that.  But yes that mute button issue you are describing is typical of the other people who are experiencing this issue including myself.

HP Recommended

Hi Dean and vikoriagrindle,

If you want you can post the log file details here and we can determine the cause. There have also been reports of the latest Microsoft Updates causing some audio issues. You can try this HP thread: Audio Does Not Work After a Certain Period of Time. It has some troubleshooting steps some of which you may have already tried but it also has a work around.

Thank you,

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Ok, so here is the new solution that I believe actually will work. It involved actually removing the update that installed this corrupt driver. I think this solution is also listed in the link that the HP person posted above. good luck! 🙂

Uninstalling the Windows Update, then hiding it, is the only method of eliminating the issue if it caused by this update. Here is the procedure for uninstalling the update:

Step1: 

1. Go into Control Panel, then click on “Programs and Features”.

2. Click on “View Installed Updates”. Look for the update with the ID number KB2962407.

3. Right-click on the update and select “Uninstall”. Restart the computer.

Step 2: Next, here is the procedure for hiding the update:

1. Go into Control Panel, then click on “Windows Updates”.

2. Click on “Check for Updates”. When the process is completed, is should find important update(s) available. Clicking on the message will open a window where the important update(s) is.

3. Right-click on the KB2962407 update and select “Hide Update”. This will prevent the update from being installed next time Windows Updates are being installed.

HP Recommended

HEy thanks viktoriagrindle... i had d same sound problem... and ur solution is worked for me ...Thanks mate... 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Here's my log file. Hopefully it'll tell you the cause.

I've uninstalled the update like you and @viktoriagrindle said to do and it has worked but the mute button doesn't light up when I use it. It could be that uninstalling the update could be a temporary fix - until the next update comes out.

Hopefully the log file will fix things.

Thanks,

Dean

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.