Question

Honor Student
trangdamang
Message 1 of 8 (17,840 Views)

HP dv4, Touch Buttons Not working Correctly. Volume Freezes Computer

Hi, I've been having trouble with my HP laptop since I've bought it about a month or two ago.  I had to return my first HP because it wouldn't boot up correctly everytime I turned it on.  Now the one I have is having problems with the volume controll and mute button.  The other buttons next to it may not be working correctly also, but I don't use them enough to notice.

When I press the Volume Scroll to turn the volume up or down, nothing happens.  Windows explorer basically freezes until I click around and it tells me "Windows Explorer has stopped responding"  At this point I have to restart windows explorer to make it work.  That worked for a week or two, NOW when I restart windows explorer, the volume slider STILL does not work.  My computer freezes up anytime I touch any of the LED buttons.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!

Honor Student
Valentine
Message 2 of 8 (17,797 Views)

Re: HP dv4, Touch Buttons Not working Correctly. Volume Freezes Computer

Hello,

I have HP Pavilion dv5 and I have similar problem. Here is the information that may be helpful for you.

Click combination of buttons on your keyboard Windows+R -> Type MSCONFIG -> OK -> Continue -> Go to Startup Tab in the System Configuration -> Uncheck “HP Quicktouch On Screen Display Item” -> Restart Your computer.

This method does not solve the volume problem, but it disables the on screen display of the volume control. You’ll can work but there is no annoying bar.

Kind regards,

Valentine

P.S. I hope HP will release a patch for solving of this issue...

Honor Student
trangdamang
Message 3 of 8 (17,776 Views)

So that would just solve the volume not showing up on the screen?  Does it also solve the annoying clicking sound it makes when i turn up/down the volume??

Yeah hopefully I can solve the volume freezing problem soon.

Honor Student
Valentine
Message 4 of 8 (17,757 Views)

Hi again!

I have found a solution for my problem.

I downloaded the later drivers.

You can follow the link http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html#Support choose "Download drivers and software (and firmware)", your model and then see the full list of available software. My driver is called sp40139.exe (20.9 Mb) And it seems to solve my problem. Now the volume does not freeze.

Check it out!

Honor Student
Valentine
Message 5 of 8 (17,748 Views)

I have the problem again. So the driver does not help. :smileysad:
Honor Student
trangdamang
Message 6 of 8 (17,726 Views)

darn, i thought we found a solution.  well that's what i thought too, i had downloaded the driver, and i also saw a forum that said i should download BIOS.  I tried that, thought it worked for like 1 hour and then it messed up again.
Student
tonyslat
Message 7 of 8 (14,307 Views)

This is an issue with the hardware. I don't think there is or will be a fix.

It will have to be lived with.

I thought WIndows 7 upgrade would have fixed it, but no avail. I think that is why there where so many refurbished laptops of the DV4 and other  DV models.

Honor Student
Getoari
Message 8 of 8 (5,668 Views)

Try Driver Genius and update all you drivers :smileyhappy: 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation