Question

Honor Student
ScienceFriction
Message 1 of 5 (9,038 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP laptop shows "speakers and headphones" as one Sound option

I recently got a new hp laptop.

When i plugged my headphones in, sound still came from the speakers. I looked in the sound menu and it had listed it as two options "Speakers and Headphones" and "Communications Headphones". I could hear my friends voice through Skype on the headphones, But my ingame noises (Star Trek Online) still came through the laptops speakers. Does anyone know how i can make my headphones and speakers seperate options?

Master's Graduate
AU4U
Message 2 of 5 (9,024 Views)

Re: HP laptop shows "speakers and headphones" as one Sound option

[ Edited ]

I'm assuming that your headphones have a mic built in, as they show up as a communication device.

- Just mute the speakers, keep the headphones on.

2012-03-13_114631.jpg

OR,,,,,,

- Set the Speakers and Headphones as the default communication devise.

2012-03-13_114004.jpg

Post back and let us know if this helped.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

> Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
> See a great post? Click on the white star and give it a Kudos!

Honor Student
ScienceFriction
Message 3 of 5 (9,018 Views)

Option 2 seems to work, thanks

Student
pavilionjapan
Message 4 of 5 (3,537 Views)

i'm getting the same problem and it doesn't seem the 2 possible fixes work for me.

no. 1 fix: if i turn off the sound all the sound goes off.

no. 2 fix: this is what my notebook is set to but speakers still give sound when headphones plugged in.

appreciate any help.

Honor Student
iAnonymous
Message 5 of 5 (2,404 Views)

Hi there, i have recently formatted my HP laptop and strangely experienced the same problem, however after a few minutes of trail and error i've found a solution which has worked for me.

Start by right clicking your sound button on the bottom right corner of your laptop and select "playback devices"

now, im guessing your headphone/headset of choice has a built in mic which seems to be causing the issue. Before doing anything else make sure that your "speakers and headphones" are set as your default device.

After doing so, simply right click on your "independent headphones" device and click disable.

You can also hide disabled devices if you think its an eye sore.

HOWEVER:- i haven't tested this but i believe, by disabling it, you may not be able to use the mic on the headphones. However i'm most likely wrong since the playback page is just receiving sound and not transmitting. just a heads up anyway! 

Hope this helped :smileyhappy: 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation