Question

Honor Student
Street50
Message 1 of 31 (17,904 Views)

HP pavillion DV7 "no" sound problem

So for a few months now, I have been having NO sound with my notebook.  I tried a few methods here and there but haven't really asked around.  One thing i recently tried was putting a stero headset into it and taken it out.  Funny thing i wasn't getting sound with the stero headset either. 

BUT this morning I think i made an amazing discovery.  I haven't used skype in a long time...  but i noticed...  sound was actually coming from using skype....  the little noises...    i have no idea how that can be... But sound is coming from nothing else.

Hope someone can please help me get my sound to truly work again.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 31 (17,899 Views)

Re: HP pavillion DV7 "no" sound problem

Hi,

Can you post back with the following.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of your dv7 series notebook ( from the service tag underneath your notebook ) - see Here for a further explanation.

2.  The full version of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 32bit ).

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
Street50
Message 3 of 31 (17,888 Views)

Product

HP Pavilion dv7

Product number VM238UA#ABA

op system Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 31 (17,883 Views)

Hi,

First of all, stop Skype automatically starting with Windows by launching the application, click Tools, click Options, click General, click General Settings and untick 'Start Skype when I Start Windows', then click Save and close the application.

Restart the notebook for this setting to take effect.

When windows has reloaded, download the IDT Audio installer on the link below and save it to your Downloads folder.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp48501-49000/sp48830.exe

When done, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager and open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers.  Right click the IDT device and select Uninstall - you should also get a prompt to remove the current driver, tick the box to allow this and then proceed with the uninstall.

When complete, restart the notebook and let Windows fully load.  Open your Downloads folder, right click on the IDT installer and select 'Run as Administrator' to start the installation.  When this has completed, right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar and select Playback Devices.  Left click 'Speakers and Headphones' once to highlight it and then click the Set Default button - check if you now have audio.

If you still have no audio, open windows Control Panel, open Administrative Tools and open Services.  Check that the following services are all showing as Status= Started and Start-up Type= Automatic

Audio Service

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Windows Audio

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

If you need to make a change to any of the above, just right click the service and select Properties, then in the dropdown box next to 'Start-up type',  select Automatic and click Apply to save the change.  Then click the Start button.

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
Street50
Message 5 of 31 (17,856 Views)

So thank you to say the sound does work.  But im curious why WMA music files no longer work?

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 31 (17,845 Views)

Hi,

It may be worth trying to reset Windows Media Player as follows.

Click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and untick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and then restart the notebook.

When Windows has restarted, click the Start Menu and select Control Panel.  Open Programs and Features, Click 'Turn Windows features on or off', open up Media Features and tick Windows Media Player.  Click Yes then OK and when WMP has finished installing, restart the notebook again.

Regards,

DP-K

Student
kizabella
Message 7 of 31 (17,426 Views)

Hi,

I have the same problem, I have no sound on my computer, but it's a Pavilion dv4. Sometimes I can resolve it by restarting it, but not this time. Can I use the same method that was suggested for dv7?

Thanks!

Honor Student
hansel12
Message 8 of 31 (16,656 Views)

Re: HP pavillion DV7 "no" sound and usb problems

I have a pavillion dv7 1110es, and i am not getting sound either usb recognition. the lilttle speaker for the valume control has an  X when i click on it , it trouble shoots but it says that the problem cant be found,in device manager it the drivers appear says that its working properly.i was told my mohter board needs heating. need help!!!!

Spoiler

Honor Student
hansel12
Message 9 of 31 (16,656 Views)

Re: HP pavillion DV7 "no" sound and usb problems

I have a pavillion dv7 1110es, and i am not getting sound either usb recognition. the lilttle speaker for the valume control has an  X when i click on it , it troubleshoots but it says that the problem cant be found,in device manager the drivers appear says that its working properly.i was told my motherboard needs heating. can anyone help help?

Student
GDPAUL
Message 10 of 31 (15,743 Views)

Hi David, my dv7 6c27cl also has the same problem. No sound. until this morning i had sound from head phones. i tried a hard reset as suggested by you in another post and now there is no sound. Could you please guide further/ direct me to a patch?

Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation