Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

If it weren't for the fact that Dell updated their BIOS to allow/work/whatever both audio interfaces, I wouldn't be so disappointed with HP. And it's the reason I almost kept the laptop, figuring eventually the Linux kernel would support I2S. But their response (or lack thereof) coupled with the constant problems I have dealing with this website has left me feeling that they are unlikely to fix any future issues.

Who knows, maybe the kernel guys gets I2S fixed in the next couple months and I end up ordering this again...

HP Recommended

@badusername wrote:

Thanks cynicist, this is the first real information I've read that explains the problem. Bug postings on the ubuntu launchpad site indicate that people have tried bios updates on the Spectre without success. If Dell can roll back to HDA why can't HP?

I hear audio out the HDMI connection. Does that mean it still uses the HDA interface? Do you know if the audio signal runs through separate wires that can be tapped? I do like using the Spectre with the addtion of a USB-DAC but I worry about the next problem and wonder if HP will even care.

I'm happy to share after spending so much time trying to debug the issue. 😛 As to whether HP can provide a switch between I2S/HDA in the BIOS I don't see why not but I certainly don't see them putting resources into something that affects a few people on an unsupported operating system. Remember that there is a special edition of the Dell XPS 13 (Developer Edition I think) that comes preloaded with Ubuntu so they basically have to get it working out of the box for people. We have no such luck, but I am patient and this machine will be great when it does happen.

Yeah HDMI carries audio and video signals so you can output it to for example a TV or external monitor and have functional audio, or bypass everything with your own DAC as you did, but otherwise no I don't think there are any clever solutions to this issue. 😞

HP Recommended

While even Apple is opened to other systems, I can not share the strategy that HP seems to take on any other OS than Windows. Nevertheless, we just have to take it into account.

However, this does not excuse the silence of HP about this issue. The least would be to provide a clear answer about their willingness to help the users and to offer a solution.

For my part, I am very interested in this beautiful product, but I can use it only if it works well with Linux. Certainly the next Kernel will solve the problem, but the availability date remains uncertain. So without update proposed by HP, impossible for me to acquire this equipment.

Additional question : I also need to use Windows 7 for professional softwares, is it fully working?

HP Recommended

I used with succes 2 different usb D.A.C (digital audio converter) and a bluetooth speaker on ubuntu.

HP Recommended

(Don't know how reliable is this since technical support also asked me to contact the "Linux manufacturer" for help)

I think his supervisor saw a potential on that guy 😄

Unfortunately I have same issue

HP Recommended

Hi @SM_PRO,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Dear

I have same issue, my whole work on linux. HP agent in Saudi Arabia (Jarir Bookstore) told me that: It is not allowed to test whether device is compatible with linux or not (Therefore I have to buy on my own risk!, which happened).

I have installed latest linux kernel it's not working, today I thought problem solved because there was an update for the bios but still same problems.

1.jpeg

4.jpeg

HP Recommended

Same issue here, if its truely a bios bug I really hope HP strongly considers patching this. I am considering returning mine now if they will take it back, which is a shame because I really like the laptop otherwise.

HP Recommended

Any update on this?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.