Headphone problem (1763 Views)
Student
justinmstanton
Message 1 of 5 (1,763 Views)

Headphone problem

Having a problem using my headphones in the past couple of days.

My notebook is not recognizing my headphones when I insert them into the jack. The speakers on the notebook continue to work when the headphones are plugged in, albeit at a lower sound quality. However, when I test the headphones in the Windows control panel/audio device manager & the IDT control panel, the tests are successful. I've tried multiple sets of headphones - same result. Seems to be a driver/settings issue, but I'm not sure. Any help is much appreciated!

Justin

Top Student
smithomas
Message 2 of 5 (1,715 Views)

Re: Headphone problem

I encountered this same problem very recently, with the same symptoms. I was able to check back through my program add/remove logs and found one program that was lost for some reason at about the time my problems started: Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable. So far the problem hasn't come back, it's worth a try.

The only other thing I could find on this subject was to set the headphones as default, but if your problem is like mine, it won't work, even through the IDT panel.

I think the problem may have had to do with a game I (un)installed (via Steam), but I don't know for certain.

Top Student
smithomas
Message 3 of 5 (1,687 Views)

Actually, let me correct myself. It may not have been the redistributable that fixed it, it might have just been that I locked my computer instead of setting it to sleep. Whenever it starts up, either from being shutdown or from sleep, that seems to be the most common trigger. I've had it happen at other times, though.

I checked my program "logs" again, and I realized that the driver I started with is not on the HP website for my model. I started with the 6.10.6257.0 driver, 11/18/2009, but the earliest I can find on the HP site is from Jan 2010. I don't know if that will fix it, but it's better than a full system restore.

Just to be clear, I'm using an EliteBook 8540w. The driver I started with seems to be from an 8440p.

Top Student
smithomas
Message 4 of 5 (1,635 Views)

Apparently it was the IDT audio service that was the problem. Disabling it solved the problem, even through sleep mode, but now the mute button doesn't change colors correctly; better that than my speakers, though.

Top Student
jjo5656
Message 5 of 5 (1,566 Views)

Justin,

I have the same exact problem and did the same thing. I disabled the IDT "speakers and headphones"  and made the IDT "independent device" the default. It does work. The sound stops coming out of the speakers and goes to the headphones. But is this supposed to be the normal process in doing this? I don't think so. I would think HP has a more easy option. Or is it that our laptops are defective?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation