HP Support Forums
Join in the conversation.
01-26-2012 09:35 AM
HP Pavilion dv6-6176sa
I have a Pavilion dv6, and occasionally no sound will go through headphones when the jack is plugged in. The headphones themselves are not at fault, they are brand new and work fine.
When the headphones are plugged in, the sound will only go through the laptop speakers. I've tried updating the drivers, fiddling with the jack and socket (as I read on google), the only resolution I have found is to restart the comp, which is a bit of a pisstake in all fairness and I'd rather not do that every time it happens.
5 minutes ago I was watching a TV show, listening through the headphones, when I pulled out my USB mouse (and accidentally the charger with it). The sound then switched from the headphones to the speaker.
If I open the sound settings, it will display the headphones as being plugged in, but the sound indicator bar (thingy) will only rise and fall on the speaker icon bar.
Currently I have the audio jack pulled out about a centimetre, this allows sound through the headphones, but the sound is noticeably different to what it should be.
I had rolled it back to "High Definition Audio Device", then reinstalled it to the most current driver. This hasn't fixed it.
Also, this may be a related issue: (I guess) around the same time, the beats audio notification that pops up on screen when the volume is changed has disappeared and doesn't display when the volume has changed.
In microsoft sound control panel, it has the default speakers and the headphone logo, when i plug in the jack, a green phone circle thing appears by the headphone option, meaning it works i guess. However, the description changes from "ready" to "default communications device" and nothing changes for the regular speaker device.
When I go to >configure, and test each (L/R) speaker, if the headphones are plugged in, the noise is louder then when they're not plugged it
But yeah, brand new headphones, brand new laptop, it's mad. What's madder is that the headphones will work for x amount of time, then stop working when I next try to use them...