Question

Honor Student
m_brink
Message 1 of 6 (469 Views)

Hissing/Crackling sound in Headphones

I have an HP Envy dv7-7398ca notebook with Windows8, owned it for about 2 weeks. From the first day, I've been getting intermittent hissing/crackling noise in my Logitek USB headphones which work fine on any other PC. By intermittent, I mean that it tends to go to varying degrees for about 30 seconds, then stop for 5-10 seconds, then start up again. The timing and intensity is almost like  listening to the clicking of a hard drive from like 15 years ago. I've gone into the Beats audio program and disabled all the extra features and turned down the equalizer settings as gar as they will with no impact at all. The only thing that gets it to stop is to completely turn the master volume all the way to zero, which obviously is not a real solution.

I've found several similar posts, with suggestions to unplug the battery and power and hold the power button for 15 seconds, as well as uninstall all audio devices in device manager, do a Scan for New Hardware, and then reboot. I've done both of those with no success. I've also updated all drivers.

I've also read to change the Acceleration mode from "Maximized" to "Enhanced" in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology program. While I have a hybrid drive and this application, it (at least in the current version on my system) does not give any ability to configure it.

The only other possible solution I've seen so far (which I have not tried) is to completely uninstall the Beats audio software and leave it off, which I'd rather avoid.

Anyone have any ideas what else to do?

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 6 (439 Views)

Re: Hissing/Crackling sound in Headphones

Hello M_brink,

You are stating that you hear hissing/cracking noises when listening from your headphones, is that correct? I will try to assist you with this issue.

Does this noise occur when using just the internal speakers?

I would like you to access the BIOS menu and check on the version you currently have.

1.       Shut down the computer

2.       When you turn the computer back on immediately and repeatedly tap the F10 key

3.       Once in the BIOS on the left side of the screen check what BIOS version you have

4.       Then press F9 to set up defaults and the press F10 to save and exit.

Once back on your app screen test out your sound, also please let me know what version of BIOS it shows.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Honor Student
m_brink
Message 3 of 6 (429 Views)

Yes, it only happens through the headphones.  I have no audio issues at all with the onboard speakers.

The BIOS version is Insyde F.25

After going into the BIOS and setting back to defaults, the crackling has become less common, but still occasionally pops up. Not sure if that is coincidence or not.

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 4 of 6 (419 Views)

@ M_Brink,

Thank you for that information.

Looks like your current on your BIOS version so no need to update.

I would like you to access your device manager, and check on your current sound driver. I know you mentioned you updated some drivers but I want to see what you have currently installed.

1.       If you're not sure how to access the device manager have a look this information.

2.       Once in device manager go down to sound, video, and game controllers, expand the column and right click on the IDT driver.

3.       Click on properties and another box will appear, then click on the driver tab at the top

4.       Check on the current version and date of the driver you see installed

Please reply when you are able to verify that information.

Thank You

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Honor Student
m_brink
Message 5 of 6 (409 Views)

The version for that driver is 6.10.6425.0

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 6 of 6 (398 Views)

M_brink,

Okay your driver is current as you stated earlier. By chance have you tested with multiple headphones to see if the issue occurs with others, if that is even an option that you have.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation