Question

Student
mbell66
Message 1 of 6 (3,305 Views)

How do I compress Wav files

Hi, I have some sound files that I want to be able to email to people, but I can't because the files are too big. Is there a way to compress these files(wav)?

Regents Professor
Kalt
Message 2 of 6 (3,296 Views)

Re: How do I compress Wav files

You should rip them in mp3 format, or try converting the wav files to mp3 files via an audio converter.

Also, instead of emailing them the files you could just upload them to a free host and then email them the link to download.

Free file hosting links:  http://www.megaupload.com/ | http://www.mediafire.com/ | http://www.filefactory.com/
Intern
Gary_R
Message 3 of 6 (3,236 Views)

I use WinLame  (free, open source) to compress to MP3.
Student
happygirlbaby
Message 4 of 6 (1,620 Views)

I just find a step by step guide on how to compress audio WAV, MP3, FLAC, WMA, M4A, AIFF, PCM, OGG, etc. to smaller file size with high audio quality at How to Compress Audio WAV, MP3, FLAC, WMA, M4A, AIFF, PCM and etc?

why not have a free try, hope it helps

Student
grahambuddhenry
Message 5 of 6 (1,423 Views)

The following will introduce a step by step guide on how to compress various audio files to smaller file size with the help of the powerful Audio Compressor software - Bigasoft Audio Converter at How to Compress Audio WAV, MP3, FLAC, WMA, M4A, AIFF, PCM and etc?

This guide applies to:

Compress MP3, FLAC, WAV, WMA, M4A, AIFF, MP2, OGG, AC3, RA, AU and etc to smaller file size as well as keep the same audio format.
Compress WAV to MP3, AC3, M4A or AU with almost no loss of audio quality.
Compress FLAC to MP3, M4A or AC3 with high audio quality.
Compress AIFF to M4A, MP3, AC3 and more audio format.
Compress M4A to MP3, WMA, AC3, RA and etc.
Compress WMA to MP3 with smaller file size.
Compress PCM, M4B, MPC, QCP, AMR, AWB, TTA, CUE, APE and etc to MP3.

Student
pedrogawdin
Message 6 of 6 (340 Views)

You may refer to the following there method to compress WAV files

Method 1: Compress WAV to other audio format

• Compress WAV to lossless compression audio format without losing audio quality like compress WAV to FLAC, compress WAV to Apple Lossless ALAC M4A
  • Compress WAV to lossy audio format like compress WAV to MP3, compress WAV to WMA, AAC, RA and etc.

Method 2: Lower WAV bit rate

• With this method, we can easily reduce WAV file size without changing WAV audio format.
  • The lower the bit rate, the smaller the WAV file size, the lower quality of the WAV audio.
  • In most cases, WAV audio quality shows little difference between 128kbps and higher bitrates. WAV quality will become crappier if the bit rate is less than 128kbps.

Method 3: Compress WAV to other audio format as well as lower bit rate

The third way to compress a WAV file size is that we simultaneously apply Method 1 as well as Method 2.

Resources: How to Compress WAV File Size without Losing Quality on Windows or Mac?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation