How do I get the speaker icon to STAY in my system tray? (684 Views)
Honor Student
Candy-Iowa
Message 1 of 6 (684 Views)

How do I get the speaker icon to STAY in my system tray?

How do I get the speaker icon to STAY in my system tray?  Every time I mute the speakers, the icon disappears from my system tray.  I have a very difficult time getting it back, and I can never remember how I do it.  Can someone give me some helpful, easy to remember steps on how to KEEP the sound/volume icon in my system tray?  Thanks.

Candy-Iowa

Compaq Presario CQ62-214NR Notebook PC

Windows 7 64-bit operating system

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 6 (680 Views)

Re: How do I get the speaker icon to STAY in my system tray?

Hi,

Please try this:

1. Right click in the task bar near the time display.
  2. Click on properties.
  3. Under system icons to always show, check Volume.
  4. Click Apply.

Regards,

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
Candy-Iowa
Message 3 of 6 (676 Views)

I did what you said.  There is not a "system icons to always show".  What it does say is "turn system icons on or off".  The one for the sound icon is greyed out and CANNOT be clicked on.  This happens every time I mute the speakers.  

So, how do I get it back?  

Candy

Honor Student
Candy-Iowa
Message 4 of 6 (674 Views)

I did a windows update, and the icon "miraculously" reappeared in the system tray.  

But, shouldn't there be a way to keep the icon from disappearing in the first place when I mute it?  

Sometimes I am talking on the phone or watching tv while I am working on the computer, and I don't always need the computer sound on.  

How can I keep the icon from disappearing when I mute it?  

Thanks.  

Candy

Master's Graduate
Comptronic
Message 5 of 6 (668 Views)

Candy-Iowa wrote:

I did what you said.  There is not a "system icons to always show".  What it does say is "turn system icons on or off".  The one for the sound icon is greyed out and CANNOT be clicked on.  This happens every time I mute the speakers.  

So, how do I get it back?  

Candy

In the menu that said "turn system icons on or off", try clicking on the blue writing on the bottom left of that menu that says "restore default icon behaviors".

Honor Student
amyleerobinson
Message 6 of 6 (643 Views)

I have the same problenm, except it is with battery life indicator.  Greyed out and i also tried restoring to default. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation