Hp Mini 1000 microphone not working for XP (12376 Views)
Student
Tony7070
Message 1 of 8 (12,376 Views)

Hp Mini 1000 microphone not working for XP

I just recently tried to sound record and it did not pick up sound at all, i tried turning up the volume for the internal mic, not sure what the problem would be, any suggestions?
Honor Student
wuzz
Message 2 of 8 (12,353 Views)

Re: Hp Mini 1000 microphone not working for XP

Top Student
badvegan
Message 3 of 8 (11,427 Views)

you will never get the microphone working. the combo mic headphone jack is worthless. hp has on this site a picture of the kind of microphone jack (3 contact) you need to record. however there has never been a microphone made with this jack.... not a single one. My secretary contacted shure, parma. in fact all major microphone companies. when calling customer service i was told repeatedly that hp had a proprietary mic that could be used. upon being transfered to the sales department and trying to order they told me i needed to contact customer service because they did not have anything. the hp mini is a wonderful computer in many ways, however i need a microphone that works so it is as worthless as a brick to me so i donated it to our ronald mcdonald house. ps. dont try to use an external usb sound card, none of them worked with my mini 1000 and i bought all 3 at the local best buy, and the jdm one off of ebay.
Student
sjmorris
Message 4 of 8 (11,076 Views)

[ Edited ]

Actually folks, what you need to do is get one of those mini A/V cables that have RCA/Composite male or female plugs on one end, and a 1/8" stereo plug on the other - the same type of cable that a lot of of those digital picture frames and portable DVD players use, and the iPhone and Blackberry Curve also uses. That cable has the three "rings" described here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01633145&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&rule=15961&product=3892398

It works.  I'm using one now.  You may have to get some male/female adapters for the RCA/composite ends to convert back to 1/8".  But it works.

PS - HP is a billion dollar company and it is shameful that they didn't include an adapter cable with this unit or at LEAST tell people where to get one.  Their own support page is not helpful in the least.

S

Message Edited by sjmorris on 06-18-2009 07:40 PM
Message Edited by sjmorris on 06-18-2009 07:40 PM
Student
odwagerty
Message 5 of 8 (9,156 Views)

I tried to get the microphone to work, from a stand alone, usb, and blue tooth headset.  One day my brother left his ear bud with microphone cell phone handsfree device with me and I plugged it in and it worked.  the only unfortunate part is if I am using skype with other people around me, the speakers do not work and the ear bud has to be passed around.  this is an easy fix, but not a long-term solution. 

Top Student
badvegan
Message 6 of 8 (9,146 Views)

If you really did get some device to work, why would you not post the brand name? I dont believe it really happened. Not that it matters, i bought 3 of these mini's they didnt work because i needed a mic and there has never been a mic made for them EVER! I was out about $1,000 so i donated them to the Ronald McDonald house and took em off my taxes dollar for dollar. So in the end it really didnt cost me much except for the interest on $1,000 from time of purchase till i would have paid my taxes. These Mini's are great but why would HP not make a mic for them? Why would they make a proprietary port that is worthless? For people that are poor or dont itemize i can see that this would be a big concern.

Student
bradb150
Message 7 of 8 (8,680 Views)

http://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Plug-Pole-RCA-Cable/dp/B0007V6JCK

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3526375

This is the cable.  Hard to find?

By the way, your donation would be a tax deduction which only reduces your taxable income, not a tax credit which reduces your tax liability.  I think you lost a chunk of $ on that decision.

Honor Student
luderdune
Message 8 of 8 (6,308 Views)

Hi -

I have a mic with a mono jack, and it inclued an adapter for a stereo jack. Is there any product to adapt the mono or stereo 3.5mm (I believe) jack to the one I need here? The links to the products you put up appear to have A/V cables at the other end... Would I have to get female A/V cables with a 3.5mm adapter at the other end and connect 3 pieces?

Sorry, I'm really confused here. I can't believe they would make something like this. If I can't get this resolved I don't know if I will ever consider an HP product again. It is really frustrating.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation