Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

please help me go through this problem

i formatted my hp destop computer unfortunately my sound went off no audio to date i would wish to recover it back

HP Recommended

Hi All.

I have a HP Probook 6550b that was having the same problem as was described above: The computer Jack  port was detecting the headset jack presence permanently. So, after traying many drivers update I realise that perhaps could be a HW problem. Just blew in the headset port and it was enough.

I think maybe it was a small metal particle or just dust on the input sensor.

It is working fine now since March

HP Recommended

This problem has occurred on a HP 8440p laptop we have.

I uninstall the IDT software, works fine through speakers, reinstall, only headphones work. I tried the trick suggested earlier however this does not solve it properly. Fine for short term getting sound out of speakers, but when you plug headphones in after making that change the sound continues out of speakers instead.

Mark I saw your post and thought no way could blowing air into the heapdhone port work! But it did.... I'm shocked and wanted to say thanks

HP Recommended

the blow-into-the-jack soulution really works! thanks everyone! HP should think of doing some precautions for the jack dusting.

HP Recommended

It did work here too. But what's strange is that when I bought the laptop a month ago everything was working fine. Than, I installed linux, stayed with it for a couple days and used the recovery disks to intall windows back. After the recovery process was gone the sound didn't worked properly. And I tried many different verions of the sound driver but none of them worked.

Is anyone from HP looking at this thread? The guy that found the way to fix the problem deserves a huge discount!!!

HP Recommended

I had this same problem on my HP 6550b running Windows 7 Enterprise. The only thing I could get to work was to tick or untick "Listen to this device" in the Sound control panel on the Recording > Microphone > Listen tab (with "Playback through this device: set to Headphones...).

To easily toggle this setting when I want to switch between external speakers/headset and internal speakers, I have a desktop shortcut linked to a little vbs macro as follows:

Dim Wsh
Set Wsh = Wscript.CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
Wsh.Run "control.exe mmsys.cpl,,recording"
WScript.Sleep 300
Wsh.SendKeys "{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}{TAB}"
WScript.Sleep 300
Wsh.SendKeys "{DOWN}{DOWN} "
WScript.Sleep 300
Wsh.SendKeys "^{TAB} {ENTER}{ESC}"

HP Recommended

I know this has been resolved for a lot of people, but I would like to clarify the problem for those it may concern....

In my  IDT settings, Playback and recording settings, something is registrered as occupiyng my headphone - jack. Using a q- tip I fixed the problem 🙂 I have been sitting up all night reinstalling, updating, etc etc......

So - check the status of all your settings first is my (hard learned) advice.....

HP Recommended
I finally called HP about this problem. They took my laptop,changed the motherboard and applied a new BIOS. Well, problem solved!
HP Recommended

The same issue happen to me. I was using Ubuntu for a week or so and then suddenly sound started to have an odd "hiccup" and after a few hours is gone.

Now If I want to hear a sound on my speakers I need to connect a jack into the microphone port. I think Ubuntu destroyed our sound card, or perhaps it's a permanent driver issue. I ahven't noticed this problem before I installed Ubuntu. 

I'm still facing the problem after so many hours of fighting, however I can still hear the sound on my speakers when I start Skype (only when it's starting), but not during a conversation. Any new solution for this issue? Obviously I can still do a trick with "Listen to this device", however it is not a proper solution. 

HP Recommended

This is definitelly a hardware issue. I've tried all possible drivers without any success. I think that something is broken inside the sound card what changing the card preferences and that's why the drivers aren't working properly. 

I have used Linux live CD and it was the same problem, no sound from speakers. But the card isn't completely dead, just not working as it should be. I will go to another battle today, so we will see what's happen.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.