Question

Top Student
NC_Tom
Message 1 of 62 (10,920 Views)

Internal recording in G60 laptop w/ Conexant SmartAudio 221

Hi:

I have a new G60 Laptop (243CL). I sometimes use Adobe Audition to record sound that is playing from another source within the system (like streaming video). In previous machines (which all ran XP) I was able to work with the Windows mixer or soundcard tool to make this happen.

On this machine, which is Vista Home Premium SP1, my input choices for any recording software are strictly limited to the built-in microphone. If I attach an external source to the "mic/line-in" jack, and make sure to disable "enhancements, and make sure to bring the record levels down, I can get an OK recording. But simultaneous playback from one source, and recording into another seems to be impossible.

I did manage to discover a disabled and "disconnected" NVIDIA HDMI audio-in jack in the Record page, but after enabling it, there's no change.

Am I just out of luck? I bought this machine based mostly on price and have generally been pleased with it (after conquering Vista's security settings). But I guess I took the ability to do this particular function for granted.

Something tells me that this is sort of a "feature" of Vista. Have searched HP, Conexant, and even NVIDIA's websites for updated drivers. No luck...

Top Student
Allens
Message 2 of 62 (10,813 Views)

Re: Internal recording in G60 laptop w/ Conexant SmartAudio 221

Tom,

Have you ever found a solution to your issue? I have the same problem, where on XP is fine. I talked to HP person and could not get anything that help. His best offer, to BURN A CD!!!

Top Student
NC_Tom
Message 3 of 62 (10,715 Views)

I did find a sort of quick and dirty work-around--a little better than "burn a CD".

You need a patch cable with male stereo mini plugs on both ends. Patch the headphone output into the mic input (the 2 jacks at the front left edge of the unit.

BEFORE you play any audio, go into "recording device" settings, select the mic, and click the "properties" tab. Under "levels", set the mic boost to zero db, and set the mic level slider above it to maybe +35 or so. On the "advanced" tab, DISABLE "audio enhancements". The enhancements enable things like mic gating and compression that are good for voice recognition, etc, but sound bad when processing recorded audio.

Now, experiment with playing back audio in one application (say, iTunes) and recording in another (in my case, Adobe Audition). Make sure Audition's set up to see the stereo mic as its input, and watch the levels. You may need to adjust the mic level and/or boost to get a good level that doesn't clip (also might check iTunes playback level).

I was able to get a pretty decent-sounding recording made internally using this setup. It's stupid-kluge-y, but it works. The biggest drawback is that once you plug something into the headphone jack, the speakers are disabled. But if you have one of those iPod earphone-sharing things, I think you could monitor with earbuds or something while the audio's playing on the computer.

Also, you might find that unless you disable the "exclusive mode" settings in recording devices, your recording may stop as soon as you click on another active window. Still experimenting here on a snowy day.

Good luck! I'm not a big fan of illegal downloads, but the DRM frenzy that's crippled Vista and things like HDMI is truly a shame.

-Tom

Honor Student
gkerwood
Message 4 of 62 (10,359 Views)

I am having the same issue with a new HP dv6-1053cl laptop running Vista Home Premium.  The laptop only has a single line in/microphone jack.  In my case, I can record from my line-in source (for example, from a microphone or a connected iPod or iPhone), but I cannot playback the line-in source through my internal or external speakers.  If I go to CONTROL PANEL/HARDWARE AND SOUND/SOUND/PLAYBACK/SPEAKERS/right-click PROPERTIES/LEVELS/ I do not have any line-in, aux, or other input devices to allow me to set volume levels for playback.  For some reason, I only have SPEAKERS and PC SPEAKERS.  Is this a limitation of Windows Vista or a limitation of the audio device drivers (IDT HD Audio Codec)?  I successfully used a line-in playback arrangement with my previous XP machine for years and am dissappointed that it doesn't seem to be supported with this new laptop.  Can anyone help?
Tutor
Old_Kat
Message 5 of 62 (9,418 Views)

This isn't a Vista issue.  It's all HP.  I have an eMachines desktop system with the same version of Vista, and the sound mixer is there.  This is some deliberate control "feature" by HP.

If you look at this article you will see that in computers that HP didn't "enhance", the sound mixer is available in the Vista sound control panel.

Trying to get service....well....the above victim already got HP's advice.  "burn a CD".  

Mine is going back to Costco, and I will buy a Sony...like I should have done to begin with.

Tutor
Dracontas
Message 6 of 62 (9,116 Views)

ANSWER FOUND

I too had a problem with internal recording with my HP G60230US laptop.  It had to do with that piece of junk known as the Conexant 221 sound card.  I called Conexant, HP, and anyone else I could contact until I finally discovered it would not perform internal recording.

Creative Sound Blaster has a USB sound card called SB X-Fi Go.  It plugs in to the USB port and comes with control panels and internal recording mixers.  It bypasses the Conexant sound card and allows for internal recording.  It costs between $20 refurbished or $40-50 new.  It works and  is well worth the price.  The sound of recording is fully adequate for most applications.

Tutor
Old_Kat
Message 7 of 62 (9,105 Views)

I wouldn't really call that an answer found.

The answer found would be a software upgrade that fixes the problem.  Not an added expense for a laptop that was 3 days old, in order to get it working like it is supposed to OUT OF THE BOX.

Next, HP will shop laptops without monitors, and the fix will be a nice $300 USB optional external.

No thanks.  If they don't want to sell me a whole computer, I can buy a brand that doesn't suck.  Additionally, I've been "discussing" this with them for weeks now via email.  Mostly, I am just being run around in circles, getting the same automated responses, from people that apparently have 1st grade reading comprehension skills, because they refuse to read the content of the email, or this thread.  They are most interested in my serial number, so they can diagnose the problems.

Tutor
Dracontas
Message 8 of 62 (9,086 Views)

Obviously a patch would be best solution however neither HP nor Conexant is willing to resolve the problem.  Conexant did say the card was capable of internal recording but it seems they have no desire to make it do so.  This is merely the next best thing so far.
Tutor
Old_Kat
Message 9 of 62 (9,082 Views)

Agreed.

HP, at the very least, should have the software engineers on staff that could write the proper drivers for this in an afternoon, and then make a patch available in their updates for the customers that bought their 2nd rate machines in good faith.

And if they don't want to do that, they can sure tell Conexant that they won't buy their products anymore, because putting second-rate hardware in their machines brings down their own reputation for quality and service.  I'm sure Conexant would rather write a patch than lost a vendor the size of HP.

Or...they might just be stupid, since they seem to be unconcerned about their reputation with customers that own their sound cards.

Top Student
NC_Tom
Message 10 of 62 (9,013 Views)

[ Edited ]

ahh...I fell for the "always keep your drivers current" mantra. Having downloaded new audio drivers, now I don't even SEE the HDMI input in "Recording Devices" when I choose "show disabled devices". I was hoping for more...and got less.

Thanks everyone for your input. It does look like this is more of an HP/Conexant issue than I thought. I have another XP machine available to me, and I'll probably stick with it for internal recording. The little patch-cable trick works OK on this machine (use a mini-jack patch cable and connect the mic input to the speaker output, making adjustments in playback and recording levels), but it's a little noisy, a lot of trouble, and I feel stupid doing it.

-Tom

Message Edited by NC_Tom on 06-27-2009 06:15 AM
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation