Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavillion dv6 Notebook with a Windows 7 Home Premium operating system. I didn't pay attention to when this happened but when attempting to Skype last night, my internal speakers are telling me they are not plugged in. The software is AMD High Def Audio/AMD HDMI Output. The software is enabled and working properly but still no sound. I did an check for upgrades, shut down and turned back on, tried uninstalling and rebooting, and so far nothing has worked. Is there a simple fix I am missing? How would I plug the internal speakers back in if they indeed got unplugged? Or do I now need to find external speakers to plug in? The computer is only 3 months old.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Welcome to the Forum, Shelly.

You have loaded that driver and it's the latest one; you are most of the way there.  Stupid driver should work.  Smiling.

You said the software is Enabled:

Right-Click Sound (in Taskbar) > Playback Devices > Highlight Speakers and Headphones > Properties > Enable

You've done your homework - next go in and kick the Audio Services:

Make sure they are set properly.  Restart the ones listed - power is probably not needful to restart, just check it.

Maybe hit them twice (I just read in another post that once may not be enough in some cases). 

Control Panel -> icon -> Administrative Tools -> Services

Sound services must be showing as

Status = Started

Startup Type = Automatic

Sound Services:

Audio Service

Multimedia Class Scheduler

Windows Audio

Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

Power  (check only)

RPC  (check only)

If that doesn't do it, then you can try:

Clean the registry out, use your favorite or download and use CCleaner, it's a good one and it's free:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Use the Local Driver force load method to load that stubborn driver:

Control Panel > icons > Device Manager > (Highlight)  IDT High Definition Audio CODEC (or your driver name) >

Right-Click > Update Driver Software > Browse my computer for driver software

Browse to  C:\SWSetup\sp*

Be sure the “Include Subfolders” box is CHECKED

Go back in and recheck...

You can also try a Hard Reset:

This is probably not going to make a difference - I'm including it as an option.  It doesn't take a lot of time and one never knows.  This issue shouldn't be happening in the first place, so "kicking" the system just might clear it up.  It's a bit like hitting a vending machine when the snack doesn't drop after one puts in the money.  Smiling.

Hard Reset:

• Disconnect all external devices first.
  • Remove AC power and the battery
  • Press and hold power button for at least 20 seconds (Dragon-fur says, "... I like longer than 20 seconds".  I've read some people recommend as long as 60 seconds.")
  • Reinstall only AC power for first startup.
  • Power on - Log in
  • Test the sound
  • Next time you shut down the system, put the battery back in.

You can ignore the bit about leaving the battery out; if you like - just put the battery back in the first time and be done with it.

Don't give up - it's just ones and zeros!

I hope this helps.

Click The Kudos Star to say Thanks!       

Set in Reply “Accept as Solution” if it’s fixed! 

Kudos are Earned!

Dragon-Fur

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.