Question

Student
Vibe
Message 1 of 5 (3,653 Views)

Keyboard typing extra letters

The text that I am typing is adding additional letters!  It is not happening to every letter.  But the same letters, sometimes before it or after it.  Like this:

t - bt

= - =[

y - ny

b - bt

n -ny

Has anybody had the same problem? 

It seems like something qnuibte small, but bthis email took me 10 minutes to write!  I can't get into any emails or search easily on the internet.

If so, please help.      

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 5 (3,647 Views)

Re: Keyboard typing extra letters

Can you post the exact model number of the notebook and Current Operating system on this notebook?

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
rsrindo
Message 3 of 5 (3,489 Views)

My wife's HP lap top have exactly the same problem. Please help....

Honor Student
rsrindo
Message 4 of 5 (3,478 Views)

Hi Vibe, 

Please let me know if you have solve your problem on the above subject. Thanks !

Top Student
Tone-e
Message 5 of 5 (2,828 Views)

When having problems of a nature that appear in multiple applications, the bios settings would be the first place to start.

If it occurs in only one application then likely a bug or some form of character substition you may have accidentally setup.  Reset progran to defaults,

Restart your machine and save you current bios settings if you can and then reset the defaults.

Once rebooting into windows, go into control panel and reset the defaults for you keyboard and make sure you nationalization setting is correct.

If you remember any type of utility that you may have loaded that might use macros, uninstall any utilities you may have installed.

Also think of all the things you tinkered with, maybe window shell script or other feature most common users don't know exists.

I am old, so I open a console window and type set to see all the environment variables setup up.  If any look odd check into them.  Make sure something has not modified your path allowing something to be used instead of what should be by default,

Reboot the machine again and see what happens.

If you still have problems, I personall would save my data,, reset the entire system hardware back to the defaults reformat my hard drive and reinstall my software paying close attention to any possible odd options requested rearding your keyboard.

But before doing that if you would like to avoid it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation