Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi all, I'm having a problem with my laptop.. It's recently been making noises, it happened before and I thought it was not a big deal. Until now, it keeps making noises and then freezes the whole laptop. I had to press power button and waited like 2 or 3 minutes for it to restart. I tried to search some solutions online. Some said it was about the sound card problem and my laptop was overheat. I open the fan all the time and it seems like my laptop is cool. I assume that nothing is wrong with temperature. 

Some said I could check for errors by clicking on "Properties", but when I clicked on "Properties" - Tool- Error checking- Check now" it said C was in use. I don't get it, I was not using it at the time? What is going on?

Does anyone have this problem? Can you please show me how to resolve it? I really appreciate it. 

My laptop is HP Pavilion dv4-1430us, Entertainment nothbook pc. I bought it about 2 years ago. Thanks again (:

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Hi,

Shutdown the notebook.  Tap away at f10 as you start the notebook to enter the bios menu.  Under the Advanced or Diagnostic tab you should find the facility to run tests on both the Hard Drive and Memory.  Post back with the details of any error messages.

If both the above tests pass, try the following.

From the Start Menu, open All Programs, open Accessories, right click the Command Prompt and select 'Run as Administrator'.  In to the prompt type the following command and hit enter.

sfc /scannow                 ( note that there is a space between sfc and the / )

Let the process complete, then type exit and hit enter.

Next, click the Start Menu, click Computer, left click Local Disc C once to highlight it, right click Local Disc C and select Properties.  Click the Tools tab and then click the button to 'Check the Drive for Errors'.  In the following window make sure both boxes are ticked and then click Start.  Part of this process will require a restart to check the drive.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have a freezing problem also. After start up everything runs normally....when I hover over icons on the task bar it seems normal and when hover over a folder on the desktop. But as soon I click on something the hover stage freezes yet the mouse pointer can still move around freely. Nothing opens so the computer freezes. I hit he kill switch (power button) to restart but it keeps happening.

Any ideas??

I will run the tests you mentioned in your post and see what comes of it. 

I'm a PC and Windows 7 wasn't my idea
HP Recommended

I did exactly like you said, my computer passed the first one. Then I tried "start menu" thing, it said there were some errors. After that, I right-click on disc C and "check for errors" but it said "Windows can't check the disk while it's in use". What am I gonna do? 

HP Recommended
i don't know why there is a need to update BIOS. Why cant HP Leave me ALONE & Happy Without this Noise. it happens every-time I update!!! i have an ASUS which Never Makes ANY Noise working Well for Last 2 1/2 Yr. I bought a higher Config HP & every 20-30 days I have an issue Like Noise, Webcam.. so on & so forth. 5yrs Back i had HP Laptop of my Co. it worked Well so i Bought 1 for myself & today again it is making Noise. Seems HP people have planned (accelerated) Obsolescing the HP laptop that I bought !! -Vivek
HP Recommended

Hi, This is the second HP Pavillion g series i've had.  The first one was returned after the first month for this reason but this one is doing exactly the same.  My son has same laptop but his doesnt do it.

I cannot watch any videos, iplayer, you tube etc. it buzzez, staggers freezes etc.  it also does it sometimes when playing games.

I had the laptop set up by a proffesional, my sons wasn't!.  he has had it back several times but it's still doing it.

Please help!

HP Recommended

Hi!  I am having the same issues with my work PC, HP M/N S2031.  The computer randomly freezes, black screen and the speakers start to buzz.  It won't stop until I turn the power off with the power button.  When I try to turn it back on, it beeps 5 times with no response from the keyboard or mouse.  If I fiddle with it long enough it usually turns back on eventually, but I think this time it finally died.  Problem is, my boss burned his bridges with the IT guy, in fact burned the bridges and everything near them, so I don't see me getting any help from anyone local.  All my work is, of course, trapped in the now unresponsive computer.  This computer was just purchased on October 10 of last year, but nobody bothered to file the warranty.  So any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

HP Recommended

OK, so I did all that you sugested.  There were no error messages and no bad files (I guess), and it started up.  But what do I do now?  How do I make sure this doesn't happen again?  What DID happen?  Is this related to the occasional graphics driver hang-ups that makes the screen go balck for 2 or 3 seconds? Will this only happen when I try to play video?

HP Recommended

I've been having some problems playing back any sort of media.  At regular intervals the audio will freeze/skip for a second and make a loud grinding noise, then resume.  This happens with music, streaming videos, games, pretty much everything.  If I'm watching a video or playing a game, the screen will freeze for a second, then resume. Ive only had this new laptop since april i was hoping with all the updates it would go away but it hasnt. i have HP Pavilion G6 with windows 8 can someone help me please??

HP Recommended

Hello @BrainWorms,

You state the notebook audio freezes and skips at different times, is that correct? I will try to assist you with this issue.

Can you please provide the full model number of the G6 that you have. HP manufactured will over 100 models of the G6 and I want to make sure we are working on the proper one.

Normally the information is on the bottom inside the battery compartment. Here is a document that will help you locate the information.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.