Microphone issue with pavilion dv7 (2814 Views)
Top Student
papaclaude
Message 1 of 5 (2,814 Views)

Microphone issue with pavilion dv7

I got a Pavilion dv7 for Xmas (don't ask me which model, as I can't find it using any of HP's help info!!!). I used a microphone with it, no problems. Recorded great, everything went smooth as pie. After the system auto-updated (it's the only possible cause i can find, as no other changes were made), now my external mic will not work worth poop. The recording levels are extremely low, tons of noise. I know it's not the mic, as it works OK on other machines. I can find no documentation to help me work with the Beats Audio system. Can anyone please help before I throw the computer or myself out a window!!!!!

Provost
Daniel_Potyrala
Message 2 of 5 (2,791 Views)

Re: Microphone issue with pavilion dv7

[ Edited ]

Hi,
Go to:

Control Panel -> Devices Manager -> Audio, Video and Games Controllers

Double click IDT audio card and select ' Driver ' tab. Next click on ' Roll Back Driver '.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon which is on the left. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer
Honor Student
bharpe
Message 3 of 5 (1,903 Views)

I bought this HP Pavilioh dv7 w/Windows 7 Pro on it around November 30, 2012.  I never bothered trying to do anything with the microphone until this month.  I find that if there is no attached mic it will not record at all, although after spending 5 hours on support with HP they could not come up with a solution.  If I attach an external mic it will barely record anything.  I haven't been able to find any way to adjust mic settings and am at a loss.  Earlier in this string it was suggested to go to device manager and revert to the previous driver.  However, when I go there there is no previous driver to revert to.  An external microphone will record a little if I yell in to it.  I don't want this to be my first experience with HP, that a simple device fails and the whole unit will have to be shipped in for hardware replacement.  Any information you can advise I will be glad to try.  I am a fairly skilled user, therefore I am likely to be able to execute whatever is needed.  Bill Harpe.

Top Student
BtrWrld
Message 4 of 5 (1,062 Views)

I know the problem has something to do with the IDT High Definition Audio driver but can't seem to get it to work consistently.  After Christmas, I got the Integrated Microphone to work but still was not able to get it to work with Skype.   Recently tried it again, and now back to internal microphone not working again.  Spent over 4 hours with customer support with no luck. Best advice regarding this issue, save your time and spend the money - buy a headset.  There are several threads about the microphone not working and none of them have a solution.

Top Student
BtrWrld
Message 5 of 5 (1,061 Views)

I was having problems with my headset also when plugged into one of the high speed USB ports.  When I changed my USB headset to a 2.0 USB port, the microphone on the headset worked great.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation