Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My laptop is going berzerk anytime I unmute the sound on it. When the sound is muted everything works fine, however when I unmute it the laptop will paste zxc\ty,.\ in the nearest free space, the caps lock will turn on, touchpad locks up, the scroll bar on the left will be stuck scrolling down and will nothing will work/stop until I hit the spacebar three times. Then I can once again use the keyboard but the zxc\ty,. keys will not work as well as the enter key on the main keyboard and the num lock on the keypad. When I try to mute it again, the mute button will not work and I will have to mute it using the touch pad by clicking on the speaker icon and selecting mute. Once it is muted again, everything will go back to functioning normally but without sound of course. Any ideas what could be causing this or how to fix it?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I am having the exact same issue with my HP Probook 440G1 with windows 8.1 Enteprise . Please help ASAP

HP Recommended

So just as I discovered the problem, by trial and error, I discovered the solution....kind of.

What I ended up doing was backing up the entire contents of my laptop and wiped the hard drive clean. I then reinstalled the operating system and HP software using the CDs provided when purchasing my laptop (actually I had to reorder them as I lost the originals...cost me like $10 but I got them next day which was an unexpected bonus).

Once I did that, I tried again to see if my laptop would work. It didn't, it kept doing the same thing as before. I then noticed almost all of my drivers were outdated since the reinstall (all my drivers were current previous to my issue) and so I updated everything. In the midst of all that updating, the problem corrected itself!

To this point I do not know if it was some kind of issue with a corrupted driver, the OS or some deep rooted Malware that nothing could detect (I previously used Malwarebytes, Avast and Advanced System Care to scan my HD to no avail) so I do not know if wiping the hard drive helped or not but I would suggest trying the steps I followed and see if it doesn't help fix the issue. Is it a pain in the ass? Sure is. But what would you rather have, a pain in the ass because you had to put in some tedious work or a pain in the ass because you got screwed in the ass with a huge repair bill from some shop? Hope this helps, good luck! 😃

HP Recommended

I have a brand new Zbook G2 and since a couple of days I have the exact same problem. It's driving me crazy. A reinstall is not an option for me. Any idea which driver is causing this?

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I have the same problem:

After some time (10 minutes or 30 minutes or so) I get the zxc.... keyinputs and sound goes mute and Shift is activated (can't be unactivated) and when I select someting with the mouse it selects all the above to (due to shift stuck most likely). Very nice especially when writing code.... :-(.

I happens randomly (as far as I can tell) and is non recoverable. Only a restart will fix it until the next occurence.

I had it on Windows 8,7 and now also on 10 (clean install). It is VERY annoying!!

I see no reaction from HP here. Can anyone please look into this?

Paul

HP Recommended

It's sad that HP hasen't posted any info in regard to this issue. 

I've recently had a ProBook 640 G1 present with the exact issue down to the exact keystrokes. That's actually how I found this and the other archived thread with users having the same issue for the past 3 years.

archived thread here - Autotyping-zxc-ty-Volume-muting-amp-Shift-key-activating

Here is my journey.

In an effort to troubleshoot this out of warranty computer, I started throwing parts at it. 

It didn't appear to be the keyboard, as I tried 4 others with identical results. Our environment has hundreds of this model, so I have access so spare parts. 

I re-installed the OS from scratch. no change.

This is where I really started to get thrown off.

I replaced the motherboard. Same result.

At this point I assumed the original keyboard was somehow causing the fault on the motherboard, so I tried another motherboard with a different keyboard. Same issue.

This is when I started googling more, and came accross this thread. Which made me suspect the mute button.

Sure enough, as soon as you disconnect the ribbon cable for the mute / airplane mode buttons, the keyboard starts to work noramlly.  In order to remove this part, the motherboard must be removed to access the screws holding this board. 
I hope this helps anyone trying to fix this issue. I also hope HP owns up to this fault, even though I don't think it would help their already stellar customer support reputation /s.

I've included pictures of where you would disconnec the ribbon cable (under the keyboard), as well as the part causing the issue. 

Cheers!

probook_640_g1_mute_board_back.jpgprobook_640_g1_mute_front.jpgprobook_640_g1_mute_ribbon.jpg

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my ZBook 17 G3. Though i find the sollution very tempting, i'm now just using an external keyboard. HP needs to fix this bug. Seems to me it's just software/BIOS related cause i've been using this notebook for 1+ years just fine...

HP Recommended

I was about to throw away my laptop, I had tried everything (Bios, Drivers; New install) and the problem continued. Your post has helped me a lot even though my laptop is a Probook 450 G2 and the cable is a bit different, my laptop works fine now.

Disconnect this cable.Disconnect this cable.

@Thealmightyjohn Once again. Thank you :ThumbUp:

HP Recommended

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.