Question

Student
wjkievit
Message 1 of 12 (5,179 Views)

Mysterious Noise HP dv6000 when muted

I am worried that my out of warranty hp dv6000 CTO pavillion laptop has an issue.

At random times my computer will make a loud and higher pitched sound. The sound even occurs when the computer is muted. It does not sound like a bios low pitch beep. It often occurs when I am doing nothing at all on the computer. The noise does not sound like it is coming from the speakers either. I am worried that this is a warning beep related to a fan or something internal. The beep has started occuring more often (used to be once or twice a month, now is 2-3 a week). I tried troubleshooting and trying to isolate the problem with no success. I google searched for any existing answers to this topic and no success. Anyone have any suggestions? 

Honor Student
scar
Message 2 of 12 (5,038 Views)

Re: Mysterious Noise HP dv6000 when muted

I'm having the same issue and the noise is like a high-pitched electrical sound.  I don't believe it comes from the speakers either.  This happens at different times when the computer is powered on.  Anyone know what this problem is?  Thanks
Honor Student
amanada
Message 3 of 12 (4,408 Views)

I have recently started having the exact same problem! It began with only a few noises here and there, but would stop and it was not often, so I paid no attention to it. Now, I cannot even make it stop. However, in my case, it does not happen when the sound is muted. But once I unmute it, the noise starts up again, and I cannot get it to stop unless I mute it again. So right now, I have it permanently on mute. The noise also continues even when i plug in external speakers or headphones.

Has anyone figured out the cause of this noise and how to fix it??

Student
averagejoe27
Message 4 of 12 (4,353 Views)

I am also having this exact problem.

Could the beep mean that the battery is fully charged?  Or an overheat alarm?

Top Student
modtang
Message 5 of 12 (2,623 Views)

I bought my laptop only a few weeks ago. From about day 2 it started with this random beeping noise. It doesn't seem to be coming from the speakers and it happens completely randomly. It used to just happen late at night so I figured maybe it was an overheating thing from using it all day but now it happens first thing in the morning when the computer has been in sleep mode all night. Some of the things I have already done: checked the hard drives and RAM are seated properly, restarted the computer (repeatedly), installed Windows updates, done a virus scan.

Here's a YouTube video of the noise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_f1RUdpKi4

HP, any idea what could be causing this? I am about to do a BIOS upgrade and update the chipset drivers to see if that helps but I'm not holding my breath.

If anyone else has a similar issue it would be good to hear from you. BTW, I am using WIndows 7 32-bit Home Premium.

Student
daumemily
Message 6 of 12 (2,502 Views)

I am also having this problem. It is getting more and more frequent and occurs whether the speakers are muted or not. I have tried resetting my BIOS to default, blowing out the computer with compressed air, pwering down and removing battery and reinstalling audio drivers. Nothing has worked. Any suggestions? my laptop is a compaq Presario CQ60-423DX

Student
l1ttledb
Message 7 of 12 (2,377 Views)

[ Edited ]

I have this issue also on a dv6 2010sa. Its really annoying me at this stage.

when it happens its not just a beep there is a strange noise for about half a second then it beeps. it was just happening a lot so i tried to record it and what do u know it hasn't happened in 20 mins.

this seems to be a widespread issue so i dont understand why this thread has gone unanswered???

CAN SOMEONE FROM HP PLEASE READ THIS THREAD AND HELP US!

it doesn't matter whether i have the battery in or out etc it happens all the time. sounds like an electronic chirp and has to be a warning or something. hows do i fix this??

Top Student
modtang
Message 8 of 12 (2,368 Views)

Do you guys have dual headphone sockets on your laptops? I've noticed a similar beep when I plug my headphones in so I am thinking it might have something to do with that.

Honor Student
scar
Message 9 of 12 (2,360 Views)

I have dual headphone inputs, but I've never plugged in headphones.  I've listened to the sound on your youtube clip and that's not the sound mine makes.  For me, I hear one, extremely high-pitched, electric, almost alarm-like sound.

I hope someone figures this out.

Student
fifewa
Message 10 of 12 (2,171 Views)

I have same problem too.

I try find how to fix this problem from online. but Someone said video chip set or video memory problem on board. but I found other it was power switch cable was make noisy because easy damage. I replaced this cable but so I looks like fix but some times come again. but cool temperature in the room.

may be thermistors fuse problem but I am not sure. I experience was winter season. summer season was Hdd temperature was so hot. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation