NO SOUND Pavilion dv7-4065dx (2053 Views)
Top Student
LAFred
Message 1 of 13 (2,053 Views)
Accepted Solution

NO SOUND Pavilion dv7-4065dx

HP Pavilion dv7-4065dx; Windows 7, 64 bit; no sound; red light glowing on f11 (sound off/on button); use internal speakers only - do not use ear phone or external speakers.  Below is what HP Support Assistant reports:

Device                                                 Status              Driver                    Version

ATI High Definition Audio Device        Enabled           AtiHDmi.sys          7.11.0.7706

IDT High Definition Audio CODEC     Error(52)          stwrt64.sys           6.10.6292.0

How do I get sound back?

Thank you.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 2 of 13 (2,043 Views)

Re: NO SOUND Pavilion dv7-4065dx

[ Edited ]

Hi,

Download the IDT driver installer on the link below and save it to your Desktop.

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp49001-49500/sp49432.exe

When the download has completed, open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, open up Sound, Video and Game Controllers, right click the IDT device and select Properties.  Click the Driver tab and then click uninstall driver.  When this has completed, restart the notebook and check if the sound now works.

If you still have no audio, right click the IDT installer you downloaded and select 'Run as Administrator to start the installation.  Again, when this has completed, restart the notebook.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White Kudos star to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
LAFred
Message 3 of 13 (2,013 Views)

Thanks for the reply.  I now have soind. Unfortunately, it is garbled.

Do you have any further advice?

Thank you again.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 4 of 13 (2,009 Views)

Hi,

You're welcome.

Try the following.  Shutdown the notebook, remove the AC Adapter and then remove the battery.  Hold the power button down for a full minute.  Then plug in the AC Adapter ( leave the battery out for the moment ) and start the notebook.

Is there any improvement in sound quality?

Does the Led on the f11 button function correctly?

Regards,

DP-K

Top Student
LAFred
Message 5 of 13 (1,999 Views)

Thank you for sending me another procedure to try.

I’m sorry to say, that procedure did not change anything.

However, it did cause me to analyze the problem closer.  The distortion is occurring when the volume in the song increases.  By that, I mean the distortion is there even when I turn the volume low.  These songs used to play flawlessly, regardless of the volume setting.

As to your concern about the LED on f11, it works as it should now.  Before I went through the previous procedures you first told me about, it stayed red all of the time.

I had no trouble with the sound up until a month, or so ago, when HP sent some newer “high definition” upgrade.  Since then, the audio has been on a downslide.  The first problem was a reduction of volume, and then the total loss of sound.  Even after you have told me how to fix it, it is not right.

Do you have any more suggestions? 

Provost
DavidPK
Message 6 of 13 (1,993 Views)

Hi,

Right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar ans select 'Playback Devices'.  Double click the 'Speakers and Headphones' entry and in the following window, click the Enhancements tab.  In the box containing these enhancements, make sure there is only a tick against 'Loudness Equalization' - remove any others.  Next click the Advanced tab and check that '16bit, 48000Hz ( DVD Quality )' is showing - if it isn't choose this selection from the dropdown box.  Click Apply and then click OK on all remaining open windows.

Regards,

DP-K

Teacher
jamesdean12
Message 7 of 13 (1,990 Views)

Take a look in device manager for any yellow or red splats.Could be you just need to re-install the drivers.Sometimes the drivers are already sitting on the hard drive for re-installation.Check windows explorer for an HP\Drivers folder.If they're not there, you can download them from HP  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&softwareitem=ob662en&product=...

James
Honor Student
magnusbach
Message 8 of 13 (1,981 Views)

Hi.

I tried to install the IDT driver installer.

My computer says that the detected hardware isn't supported by the IDT-software. The installation will be cancelled.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Provost
DavidPK
Message 9 of 13 (1,979 Views)

Hi,

So you still have audio but it sounds distorted - is that correct?

Did you try my previous suggestion - see below.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right click the speaker icon in the Taskbar ans select 'Playback Devices'.  Double click the 'Speakers and Headphones' entry and in the following window, click the Enhancements tab.  In the box containing these enhancements, make sure there is only a tick against 'Loudness Equalization' - remove any others.  Next click the Advanced tab and check that '16bit, 48000Hz ( DVD Quality )' is showing - if it isn't choose this selection from the dropdown box.  Click Apply and then click OK on all remaining open windows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,

DP-K

Honor Student
magnusbach
Message 10 of 13 (1,976 Views)

No, it doesn't work at all...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation