New Hp Pavilion dv7 with beats audio - internal speakers do not seem to work but subwoofer does (7015 Views)
Honor Student
James7
Message 1 of 12 (7,015 Views)

New Hp Pavilion dv7 with beats audio - internal speakers do not seem to work but subwoofer does

Hi all, I am desperate for help - so if anything works I would be so grateful :smileysad:

I recently recieved a new HP dv7-4180, windows 7 installed with beats audio (a subwoofer on the underside & other internal speakers).

I was ecstatic, everything seemed to be working perfectly- until I listened to the audio.

Without external outputs, sound only comes out from the subwoofer on the underside. The other internal speakers are silent. As a result the audio is muffled & poor quality. This applies for all audio (WMP & online videos).

When I try listening with headphones in the jack, it is fine.

Things I have done which have made no difference

1) Set speakers as default device

2) Showing disconnected devices produce no other speakers

3) Updating IDT High definition Audio Codec to version 6.10.6300

4) Rolling back IDT High definition Audio Codec to version 5.something

5) Uninstalling IDT High definition Audio Codec & reinstalling versions 6.10.400+ (now back on 6300)

6) Varying enhancements & Tone Controls on  Speaker & Headphone properties

7) Placing format on highest 24 bit, 192000Hz studio quality

8) Changing speaker configuration - the only option I have is 'Stereo'

9) Installing all windows 7 updates

Please help or provide some information. Is this a hardware or software issue? I don't want to have to part with this laptop after a single day :smileysad:

Thanks

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 12 (6,980 Views)

Re: New Hp Pavilion dv7 with beats audio - internal speakers do not seem to work but subwoofer does

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the Forum, James.

Edited: 21-Nov-2011

If the notebook is under warranty, it's worth calling HP.  This issue has shown up after time - having the notebook in this condition right out of the box is downright sad.

I've looked it this - and I'm continuing to do so.  I have limited resources and my sound continues to function as it should - a good thing to have sound but it's hard to test stuff that works.  I am not an expert in the area.  I've learned, as have many, what does not work.

If the notebook is not under warranty:

One thing to make sure of, in case you have made any changes at all in setting up your notebook, is that the Services are working as they should.   There are some basic Sound Services and dependenices (check around the forum posts here).  Most of the Sound Services have to be set at Start -- Automatic .  Also check for RPC Services and ALL the RPC service dependents.  Look in the Properties for each service.  It's likely that if any of these are not set as they should be, you would lose all sound (rather than some), but with the beats-audio.. ?  If you want details on any of this - ask.

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Student
djpxtccc
Message 3 of 12 (6,935 Views)

Re: New Hp Pavilion dv7 with beats audio - internal speakers do not seem to work but subwoofer does

i took mine to a staples ive done everything from driver updates to fixing encoding n **bleep** cuz i melted the original harddrive n stamples gave me a ubuntu harddrive without my beats audio software for 150 bucks but then the harddrive had the purple screen of death n i patched it all n recovered the driver but i cnt seem to recover the hp beats audio idk the exact model of it but if hp were to contact me i wld figure it out spent like 2 grand on it .... im pissed.... only headsets sound loud now the speakers u can barley even hear but idk if its the software on hear it only has 120% max on audio play but it sounds weird like its missing a driver or something software related if ny idea's plz contact me on **bleep** i shld do...

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 4 of 12 (6,899 Views)

Well, Rats.

I found this.  It's related to your situation in the sense that your speakers do not work as they should (OK, not at all, really).   One of the systems in the conversation is similar to yours (dacher - dv7-4100) ... Later in the post, a workaround is mentioned.

Essentially, it's a post that starts as on beats-audio and the absence of the low-end of the sub-woofer.  Interesting track and it inlcudes a link to a download to an alternative to the nasty IDT.  At the least, it may be worth a look to add perspective.

Take a look:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/hp-pavilion-notebooks/553837-hp-triple-bass-reflex-subwoofer-range.h...

Oh, on this same website (forum.notebookreview) there is more on this same general subject (muddy sound bits) - might be worth searching around a bit.  I didn't find anything startling yet, but I'm not done digging.

There must be a way to get that *** IDT driver back into your system.  Stubborn metal, plastic, heap.  :smileymad:

Good Luck.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 5 of 12 (6,785 Views)

Hey...

I just finished writing and posting the "Beats Audio / Sound System Reset" ...

See if that will help you at all.  It's in this Sound/Audio Section...

My model dv7t system just showed up at the website with new IDT HD driver (and some other important updates)... don't know if yours will be the same - worth checking.

Don't give up.  The beats software is in that IDT driver.  There is a driver expert on this Forum - if we have your exact model, we can ask him for help.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
James7
Message 6 of 12 (6,739 Views)

Hey dragon-fur

Thanks so much for the messages- unfortunately i havent come across anything thats helped my issue. One question though- which website would have information about any lastest IDT drivers and updates as you mentioned?

Many thanks :smileyhappy:

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 7 of 12 (6,729 Views)

James,

You are still far up that creek, as they say.  I just checked on your HP website again and there is only the one audio driver for your computer notebook.  No IDT driver updates for your model as of yet today:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4308...

Stubborn, ugly driver...

Have you tried the UN-Install driver method more than the one time to try and force that driver to "take hold"?  I know it sounds redundant - I am not trying to be an as* about it.  I can tell you from personal experience that it does take some persistence to get drivers to install properly sometimes regardless of how they look on the surface.  Yeah, OK.  I'm frustrated for you.  If you can stand it, try one more time.

OK.. do you have ANYthing else loaded into this system that could be holding down the sound - the post mentions iTunes, Media Player...The sound thing is funny (not ha-ha) - if there is a control turned off (or all the way down) somewhere, it could have an unexpected impact.  Things are supposed to reset when the driver is updated, but I'm wondering if that is happening.

Here's another Long shot - it will take just a few minutes to check.  This really has to do with "no sound" rather than "low sound".  You can check it if you want.  There are some system services on which sound depends - these are standard and there's been a lot of Forum talk about them lately.  I will outline the check and what to look for.  The service that is not mentioned in many of the local posts is the RPC services and the many interdependencies that follow the RPC service around.  Most folks do not mess with RPC on their systems and therefore do not have any reason to worry about what RPC is doing.  There are just a few of us, though, that do make system and network changes on occasion that may interfere with the standard operations... The short of it is that if you mess up with any of the Sound Services or any of the dependent services, weird stuff can happen.  Since you are now in the world of "nothing is working and it's getting weird", you might want to start looking at the weird stuff.   Up to you.

Control Panel -> icon -> Administrative Tools -> Services > Standard (bottom of the page)

NOTES:

• By setting the page to "standard" you can resize it and spread the columns the way you want them...
  • Highlight and Right-click to get to Properties

Sound services must be showing as

Status = Started

Startup Type = Automatic (except as noted in Services)

Sound Services:

• Audio Service
  • Multimedia Class Scheduler
  • Windows Audio
  • Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
  • Power
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC)

If you want to get really "into it", start looking at everything (the properties) - there's a LOT that depends on RPC being healthy.

I've also ready recently that RESTARTING the Windows Audio EndPoint Builder magically Restored the sound for one lucky sould.  Now, if that works for you, I would like a Kudos for that one.  TIA.  Smiling.  (HighLight the Service and Start it.)

I hate to ask this - have you tried back up your stuff and just doing an all out rebuild of the OS?

With a pocket drive and some prep-work, it's painful but not horrible.

Might also be time to think about just what's on your system - are you updated?  Avoiding updates?  (Some people do...)  Running Anti-virus software?  Like the Norton?  (I use Avast 6 Pro, so I call Norton "The" - it's like a plague... smiling).   What kind of extra software - anything exotic - Games in particular that we could look into (do an search for problems, etc)...

I do not know where the problem is located and I'm willing to keep looking... it helps to have more parameters.

Don't give up!  It's just ones and zeros...

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Honor Student
James7
Message 8 of 12 (6,724 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks - I uninstalled the driver I had (63xx something) and installed the one listed for my model (6292)

Now theres no sound at all - my speaker icon says 'No speakers or headphones plugged in' and when I view the driver properties it has:

Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)

Using Windows update claims this is the most up to date driver :smileyindifferent:

Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 9 of 12 (6,716 Views)

The only expletive I can think of would be bleeped.  Forum rules, you know.  Smiling.

Well, it's progress of a sort, I guess.  Something different happened.

I'm really not sure why your system would try to reject that 6292 driver.  I'm wondering if the messsage is actually because of 63x driver.  I've not seen this message from an HP standard driver and given that if you are indeed running Windows 7, 64 bit and this is your computer and webpage, 6292 is your current driver.  Should be Peaches and all that.

One more stab at this and I'll post a message for help from one of the Forum experts.

Go to the Device Manager and UNinstall that IDT driver.

Reboot your system.

Let that 6292 driver try to reinstall at boot / login

Report back...

If that doesn't do it, we'll call the Calvary. 

I don't know if he can fix the sound, be he knows computers and Drivers very well.

Later, when the driver is in place - there might one more thing to remember to come back and check:

When you change drivers, you sometimes have to "enable" the thing before it will work - especially when you downgrade.

Sound > Playback > click on Speakers and Headphones > Properties > Enable (use this device)

Hang in there.  I'm going to post a message for help.

Dragon

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Associate Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 10 of 12 (6,708 Views)

James,

I am concerned that the 6292 IDT won't load.  The thing that worries me, is that if your computer came from HP with beats audio you need an IDT driver with beats.   That 6292 IDT driver has the beats-audio in it.

Your registry may be messed up.  This would explain a lot.  Before you do much of anything else, it might be a real good idea to clean it out.  There are things going on that shouldn't be happening.  Use your favorite cleaner, or download CCleaner, it's a good one and it's free:

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

NOTE:

If you use CCleaner the application stuff, be careful and turn off a bunch of the selections or it will remove things like Avast, Acrobat viewers, MS Paint... It's not evil - You just need to UNCHECK what you don't want gone. This is separate from the registry cleaner section - no worries - just FYI.

Alternate Driver:

I heard back from the Calvary.

This may be the same 63x Driver that you had previously.  This driver may load, but I don't think it has beats-audio.  I cannot find anything in the description page to say that it does and that's a concern to me.  IF this is the driver that you have had on your system AND if your registry is messed up, then that might explain why your sound is screwed up.  Your system might be in-between drivers.

Now, if you can not get the beats-audio driver onto your system ever again for some reason, you are going to need an IDT driver to get sound.  After you get the registry cleaned out, try to load the correct beats-audio driver.  IF 6292 continues to fail and you don't want rebuild your OS, then you could try this 63x IDT again (or whatever you already have on your computer).

Version: 6.10.6341.0; 5.10.6341.0 (30 Jun 2011)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Good Luck.

Let me know what happens.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation