Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Ive tried it twice and it didnt work for my pavilion dv9628nr laptop. Service packs or not its still not working. Ive tried everyting. I could build a desktop tower cheaper than the repair probably. It would be nice if HP came up with something.
HP Recommended

Wow.... Tried so many steps and waited so long.

Thanks for ur suggestions. It worked for me.

HP Recommended

Ok...

Unfortunately, the truth with these problems on HP laptops is NOT  a software issue:

CD drive not recognized (doesn't even show up on device manager)

No Audio output device installed

Google this: "HP Motherboard oven bake fix"

You'll pull up a  few video's talking about having to disassemble the laptop, taking out the motherboard (remove ram, CMOS battery, CPU and fans) and baking the motherboard for 10 minutes at 385F.  This will 'reflow' the solder which is what's causing items to be not 'identified' anymore when they were before.

If you've never taken the laptop apart before, you may want to google "your laptop model dissasemble" and see if you can find a youtube video for your model.  

My laptop is a HP Pavilion DV6000 and after googling this...I found a link for full dissassembly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0P-ltM18Qzc

Notes:  

• Get a tray for your screws
  • Get a needle nose plier
  • small philips screwdriver
  • BE CAREFUL of the touchpad ribbon...you can break this easy (and no touchpad afterwards! :()  You'll have to disconnect 4 ribbons via the dissasembly....2 for power and DVD functions... 1 for touchpad..1 for keyboard)....the TOUCHPAD was the most difficult...if you don't know that these are NIF connectors (google this)...this connector for the touchpad has a clip at the top (black) that you push up...then you can remove/insert the ribbon easily..without jamming it and breaking it!
  • Make sure you cool the motherboard for at least 30 minutes.
  • full 1.5 hours....why?  Because after trying to put it back together, you MAY encounter some other problems like I did:

1)  Weird sounds coming from the speakers (if you tighten certain screws too tight)

2) Power issues (ie...bend the laptop a little..and it turns off)

3) you may want to dissassemble again to ensure tight connections.

Perhaps I didn't reconnect everything to the right torque...I'm not sure.  Anyways...bottom line:  THE LAPTOP works..with full sound and recognized dvd-ROM DRIVE!!!!

HP Recommended

Thanks so much - did all you said and it has worked.  I am a happy bunny thanks to you:smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

Here is the answer for anyone whose system says its disabled but isnt:

Open cmd prompt as administrator

net localgroup Administrators /add networkservice

net localgroup Administrators /add localservice

restart computer

The problem is because permissions for the registry keys pertaining to the audio functions of windows are changed due to an update. Making the above changes allows access to the keys for the audio.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem! You guys at HP should be listening since (73735 Views) on this on post and there are many, many posts on this problem.

I too have reinstalled the BIOS and all the drivers. I have stopped all unnecessary services, reloaded (but I have installed Windows 8 now). If I fool around with it and try all the things on the web my sound sometimes stars working again for one or two boots but never remains working but this tells my it is not a hardware problem.

I guess my question now is how do I rolol back the version of BIOS and where can I find back level BIOS files? 

I really use this PC and I feel HP should not ignore their customers, even if they are the ones with older model PC's.

HP Recommended

I had a restore point that would work but know its gone I have no auido know, but when i had the restore point and went to it befor updating and the sound was fine the HP23-f213w all in one. it says NO AOIDO OUTPUT DEVICE IS INSTALLED with a red x  how can i get the earler restore points back I have checked see more   and there isn't any that work now. I NEED HELP PLEASE

HP Recommended

I fixed my same problem by ordering a
DTOL 1 Pack 5.1 External USB Audio Sound Card Adapter For PC Notebook from amazon.com for $1.40, when it came in the mail I plugged it in my laptop. My laptop automaticly installed the usb audio sound card driver. After that I tested it out by playing a video and it worked my laptop now has sound. If you can find or buy a better one then go right ahead.

HP Recommended

buy this external usb audio adapter at amazon....

"USB External Sound Card, VANDESAIL USB2.0 Audio Adapter Stereo 5.1 with 3.5mm MIC and Headphone Jack for Windows, Mac, Linux"

I am using this with my HP Elitebook 6930p which has none functioning built-in audio when in Windows XP 64bit...I have done eveything mentioned in the internet on this issue and could never find the right audio codec driver that the system says is missing. Only the above gadget did my notebook has sound output again. At $6.99 this gadget is cheap fix for such problem without screwing your OS for other potential problems.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.