Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I did a system restore to original factory settings and still nothing.  No sound option in device manager also.  So I'm not 100% sure it was because of a windows update.

Anyone find anything out?

I'm using a dv2710us.  Got it about 3 years ago and this just started happening a month ago.  First on and off, but sound hasn't come back on for about a week lol

HP Recommended

i have compaq f700 (f764au) it's 2 year old and i have problem for month. There is no sound video game controller in device manager so no chance to update or reinstall sound driver and modem. What i do now help if there is some solution. My OS is vista home basic.

HP Recommended

Same exact problem.

I have struggled with this for a year now.  The HD Audio Controller and 221 drivers seem to have a mind of their own.  The only thing that is constant is that I can re-install Vista or XP and get the sound working for at least a couple of reboots, a week at the longest.

Then it is gone.   I can usually resurrect it a couple of times...then the "sound" catagory of my device manager disappears, along with the PCI device. 

Oddly, if I install Windows (XP or Vista), get sound, and then never reboot Windows...I can install a distro of Linux and the sound will consistantly work for quite a while.  Without Windows installed, my computer doesn't recognize that there is a sound device at all.  Microsoft software is definatly tied into how the sound works.  It will eventually die out even though I never use Windows....which makes no sense!! 

The original image doesn't work either...I can't restore it.  

It did work consistantly for a year, but once I made the mistake of tampering with the OS, there is no restoring. 

I'm frustrated beyond belief!  I have seen tons of posts with this exact problem and haven't seen a clear resolution or explanation.  If anybody has any information or personal experience with this please post.

Many thanks

HP Recommended

K im doing this one time i cant answer everyone here.  i have a computer background and it you don't listen i cant help...

the reason you all are loosing drivers is the newest hp driver listed on the site is wrong, leave it to hp.  go in to control panel first then to the system tab.  next hit the device manager.  find the sound tab and delete the existing driver (non working one)  the idt high definition audio codec.   now the bad driver is gone.    click on the sound , video and game controller tab.  right click on it and choose scan for hardware changes.  the os will get a new driver and should have you back up in just a few minutes.  if your sound is out your not going to loose anything just do it.  or go without your call

HP Recommended

There is no audio device in the device manager either........so how are we going to do your steps?

HP Recommended

My conexant drivers didn't seem to work for my Conexant AC-Link Audio device. However, doing a manual install of the Intel AC' 97 drivers worked for the device. The Intel AC '97 drivers are already included with windows. Maybe there's something similar with your newer laptop - I know the Conexant audio chip is prevalent on most HP laptops.

1) When doing the 'Update Driver' for the device, choose  'Install from a list or specified location (Advanced)'.

2) then choose, 'Don't search. I will choose the driver to install'.

3) Deselect the box that says 'Show Compatible Hardware'.

4) Select Intel as your manufacturer, and choose the most generic model you can find.

Good Luck.

HP Recommended

We can resolve the issue by starting the Windows Audio Service

Visit the below links for more information on how to troubleshoot no audio output device installed

http://notebook-solutions.blogspot.com/2009/05/no-audio-in-notebook.html

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01763067

HP Recommended

We can fix the issue by starting the Windows Audio Service

Visit the below links for more information:

http://notebook-solutions.blogspot.com/2009/05/no-audio-in-notebook.html

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01763067

HP Recommended

Hi, i tried everything online even downloaded some stuff, i've been without any sounds at all for a good 4 months and it's driving me crazy i tried what everyone said on ask.com and none of it worked, this all happened when i bought a new nivida Geforce graphics card and when i installed it on my computer (it's a hp pavilion a6057c TV PC) since the old graphic card wasn't very good, right after i installed it, i lost my RealTek speakers and somehow i was given Digital Output Device (HDMI) and it gave me 4 of them all the same, could somebody please help me out?

HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with my HP pavilion dm4 it's saying "No Audio Output Device is Installed", I installed an update for the computer and then when I restart it the sound doesn't work. 😞 Will this solution work for me too?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.