Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I am treying to connect my Pavilion x360 to a TV using an HDMI cable. I get the picture fine but no sound. There is no option to select HDMI output in the Beats Audio Control Panel or under the audio icon. What do I need to do to get Sound via HDMI?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Floridakiwi,

Welcome to the HP Forums! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Thank you for posting. I have read your post, and I understand that you connected your laptop and TV by HDMI, but the sound did not come out from the TV. I am happy to assist you in the matter.

Please follow the document below to troubleshoot:

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting HDMI Display and Sound Issues

Let me know the results.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Floridakiwi,

Welcome to the HP Forums! To help you get the most out of the HP Forums I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

Thank you for posting. I have read your post, and I understand that you connected your laptop and TV by HDMI, but the sound did not come out from the TV. I am happy to assist you in the matter.

Please follow the document below to troubleshoot:

HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting HDMI Display and Sound Issues

Let me know the results.

Regards,

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

solved my problem -  pity this explanatrion is either not in the documentation - or not easily found

thank you

Pete

HP Recommended

Since I had a similiar issue, I tried this procedure.  Unfortunately, when I got to Step 3 "Press the Set Default button," I found that there is no Set Default button. 

I bought the Pavilion a little over a year ago for the purpose of connecting it to my flatscreen with an HDMI cable.  It has worked beautifully until a week ago when the sound, for some reason, syopped going to the tv and now comes only from the computer.  I have played movies thru Amazon Unbox, VLC Media Player and Windows media player with no problems at all, until last week.

I also cannot find any HDMI reference when I use the Search function.  This is curious because the video still works fine. There is no HDMI icon.

Can you suggest anything?

HP Recommended

Capture.PNGset default

@Trevelyn

HDMI icon disappeared

The HDMI port cannot receive audio if the HDMI icon disappears from the sound properties in the Control Panel.
To restore the HDMI icon, follow the steps below.
  1. Reinsert the HDMI cable into the HDMI port on the computer.
  2. After approximately 10 seconds, switch the audio source in the Control Panel.
    1. Click the Start button, type sound in the Search field, and select Sound from the list.
    2. On the Playback tab, select the HDMI audio device, click Set Default, and then click OK.
The HDMI icon reappears in the sound properties in the Control Panel and the HDMI port can now receive audio.
SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Ok, I followed your instructions.  Didn't work.  No HDMI icon.   Just to try, I set the Samsug icon as default.  Now I don't have sound on either machine.

HP Recommended

@Trevelyn,

Hi, I am taking over this thread from @SDJL as she is unavailable this week.

Ok, as it was previously working on this computer, let's see if we can find what may have changed. Was there any new software installed or possibly, system updates or new drivers?

Have you noticed any other system problem such as general speed issues?

I think a good thing to try, is to roll back using a system restore. I am unsure of which operating system you are running, as it is not specified in your post, so here are instructions for both Windows 7 and 8.

Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 7)
Using Microsoft System Restore (Windows 😎

If that does not help with the audio, then next thing I would suggest is a check for malicious software, viruses and such, just to be safe.

Let me know if there is any change.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

@Malagris

I am running Windows 7

I finally gave up fooling with the problem and did a full system restore.  It worked!  Putting the system back to factory specs solved the problem  Just to check, I found that, although I don't have an HDMI icon, the Samsung icon was checked as default but there was an additional mark on the headphone icon.  It wasn't a green checkmark, but looked like an old telephone handset.  I've never seen this mark before.

As it stands now, I have downloaded VLC media player and can play all my movies on the big screen except those that require Unbox.  Apparantly, I lost Unbox when I did the restore and now, my AVG secrity software won't let me download and of the "free" copies that seem to be available. 

I certainly appreciate your efforts on this matter.  And BTW, as soon as I determines that the problem was solved, I set a restore point BEFOR and upgrades from hp or especially  Microsoft.  It's possible that a MS upgrade caused the problem in the first place.

Thanks again.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.