Question

Top Student
Joshduncann
Message 1 of 8 (383 Views)

No Sound Hp Envy 15, reinstalling the driver does not help

I have an HP Envy 15t j000 quad edition running Windows 8.1 64 bit (Although the problem started before I updated from Windows 8). I can't get sound from the speakers or headphones even though the volume is on and the sound bar is showing that audio is coming through. I made sure the speakers are set to default and enabled, which the are; I checked to make sure the sound driver is running properly, is up to date, and enabled, and it is. I've ran every kind of diagnostic test on the audio both from Windows, and the HP website, and they've shown that everything should be working fine. I also checked to make sure the audio services are running, and they are. I tried reinstalling the sound driver, deleting the files from my computer and downloading a new driver from the HP website, which sometimes works for a couple hours, but it's not long before the sound stops working again. And yes, it is the correct driver for my computer. Everything I've looked at seems to show that there's nothing wrong, and yet I still don't have sound.

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 2 of 8 (317 Views)

Re: No Sound Hp Envy 15, reinstalling the driver does not help

Hi Joshduncann,

I understand you are having issues with your Audio on your HP ENVY 15t-j000 Notebook with Windows 8.1. Here is a link to Find and fix audio issues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Top Student
Joshduncann
Message 3 of 8 (286 Views)

Unfortunately, none of those solutions helped. I ran the Find and Fix audio playback program, which could not detect a problem, I checked to make sure the speakers were enabled and set to default, which they are, and I have reinstalled/updated the audio drivers several times, to no avail. I can't find anything to show that there's a problem with my audio, except for the fact that no sound comes through.

Tutor
Taxman1958
Message 4 of 8 (229 Views)

I've had exactly the same problem with my envy 15. None of solutions work and forum suggests it might be hardware related. Computer only a few months old and if others having same problem it looks more like a driver/ windows issue that needs resolving at source
HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 5 of 8 (156 Views)

Hi Taxman1958,

I would uninstall the audio driver restart the computer and reinstall. What happened when you perform a system restore on Windows 8. What happened when you talked to the store of purchase? You could also try this fix from Microsoft.

1. Right click speaker icon (right hand corner)
2. Select Playback devices
3. Right click Speakers
4. Enable it and set as Default
5. Click Apply/Ok

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Taxman1958
Message 6 of 8 (146 Views)

Tried that. No joy. Shop offered to send it away but I can't do without it as I'm approaching exams at uni so just bought external sound card which works fine. I'll never buy another HP computer tho.
HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 7 of 8 (131 Views)

Hi Joshduncann,

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions, click here: click here.

They will be able to assist.

Thanks.

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Student
Weather3014
Message 8 of 8 (76 Views)

My son's Envy 15t Quad purchased in Feb, 2014 also had a sound problem.  Cuts in and out and then later no sound at all.  Sent it back for repair and they replaced the sound card.  It returned with the same problem and we sent it back again last week.  Still waiting to hear if they are going to replace the sound card again.  HP would know by now if the failure rate exceeded average but two on the same machine suggests there is a reliability problem with the sound system. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation