Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I had the same issue.  Checked all the settings, all was fine so i figured it was the laptop not registering that there is nothing inserted into the audio jack/hdmi slot.  When I first attached my laptop to another screen via HDMI all worked fine.  Then I disconnected the HDMI cable and had no sound from my internal speakers.  I simple re-attached HDMI from pc to tv then pressed source on the remote to take it off the HDMI input and the sound returned to my speakers.  It really is that simple.  Some laptops do this automatically (transfer sound outputs)but not the new HP range! Hope this helps anyone 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your help but then the new problem arised...  :Crying: 

After this whole process, now speakers are working fine but sound is not coming through headphone .....Also i checked my headphones, they are working fine (Test = success).

Where is the problem now ??? plz help ?

HP Recommended

I was also having the problem in this thread's title (sound in my headphones, not in my laptop's speakers) when I ran across this thread, but I kept searching and found this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1854685/laptop-speakers-work-headphones-plug.html

I don't know about a "toothpick" being able to "unjam" the sensor, but I believe the person that answered the thread known as "jacobc888" is on to something.  After I had plugged in my headphones (and got sound), then unplugged them and subsequently lost speaker sound, I re-plugged in my headphones, and got sound through them, again.  I unplugged them again, no speaker sound.  That's when I went searching online, and found that site.

So then I re-inserted the headphones (got sound), then began a series of slow outward and inward and back outward motions until the speakers got sound.  Apparently the sensor that controls shutting off the speakers while the headphones are plugged in was indeed "jammed" and it was not a driver issue, at all.  I would believe that as long as the hardware components are registering in the Device Manager, and you are getting sound through your headphones, it should NOT be a driver issue and re-installing the wrong one could cause you even more problems.  Just try messing with your headphone jack with your headphones' plug like I did.  Or in the case of having connected it to HDMI, find the setting to switch the sound back to your laptop, like another poster here, found.  But I'm betting one of those kinds of things, or similar, where they connected something, and lost sound when they disconnected it, will likely be the case for 95% of the people.  Now, granted, I have a Dell, but apparently the hardware on laptops in general does much the same thing when cables are connected, and don't always reset when disconnected.

HP Recommended
Hello, am using an hp laptop, Windows 8 the sound is not coming up but it works perfectly with an earpiece. I just got it 2days back, please help
HP Recommended

hi! i had same same problem headphone work but speaker. and i followed your guide 

"Hi, Shutdown the notebook. Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu. Try tapping some of the character keys such as A, D, X or T - do any of these produce an audible tone?

Regards,   DP-K" 

and mine test sound come out on A,D,X, T ok, but the other guy mechine don't. So you stop guide right here. Therfore, i lost what to do. please help, whaat next...

Thanks

HP Recommended
Though this is an old question. I saw it today when I was looking for the solution to the same problem which I experienced in my HP laptop too. These answers are really unhelpful and too tedious without any solution to the problem.

Easy solution: while my laptop was on, I plugged in my headphones. I then switched off the laptop while the headphones were still on. While still shut down I removed the headphones then I turned on the laptop. There, the sound worked. Easy.
HP Recommended

This progress is work as a charm with my HP omen

thanks

HP Recommended
Hello i have ahp laptop with window 10 i cannot hear sound from laptop speaker but can hear from headphone plizzz help me
HP Recommended
Hi Guys...

I'm using a HP laptop core i3 and Windows 10 OS. As soon as i bought my laptop I found that my laptop's speaker is not working. Now  I can't hear any sound from laptop speaker. But I can hear sound well through headphones. 

HP Recommended
Follow this solution,

"Hi, Shutdown the notebook. Tap away at the esc key as you start the notebook to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu. Try tapping some of the character keys such as A, D, X or T - do any of these produce an audible tone?

Regards, DP-K"
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.